1943S Copper Penny??

Z.Agee

Jun 18, 2017
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Ace 400 and AT Pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I found this on Craigslist a couple years ago and took a big risk by paying $150 for it when i realized that it was not steel and the 3 look good. I took a magnet with me and it did not stick. I looked at the 3, and as you can see in the pic. The 3 has the long tail that exceeds passed the other numbers. (other known 1943's weight equals 3.0 to 3.2 grams) mine weighs in at 3.21. And again the magnet does not stick. I have tried many many magnets and nothing sticks. I have taken to 3 different dealers and I believe that they are to scared to take a chance on it. One of the dealers even put it in a xray machine and it passed that test as well. Everything leads to YesYesYes!!! However I have not been told YesYesYes from a professional yet. Good news is that I have found a guy that just might be the one. I will be taking it to him tomorrow to find out!
20230523_002519.jpg
20230523_002500.jpg
20230523_002433.jpg

Hopefully you get the news you want! Fingers crossed for ya.

Also, be sure to keep it in a capsule or something that protects it instead of handling it freely. If it's authentic, then any scratch or overall damage can literally knock many thousands of dollars off the value of it. Good luck!

The problem is that most fakes today are Chinese counterfeits. They produce them by the ton and sell cheaply. They are usually correct weight and composition. The weak strike on the reverse of yours is not a good sign, as genuine examples were struck at high pressure needed to strike the steel planchets. Yours also exhibits some edge irregularities which are also a bad sign. Only a hands-on examination by a true expert will determine for sure.

From what I'm reading online, it seems the Chinese copies are so well done that it's extremely difficult to determine a ture error copper 43 to a knockoff. Being it's believed that only 40 of the 1943 copper Lincoln's are thought to be minted and only 27 are known to exist. It seems the odds of what you have in being a real one are extremely stacked against it being true 1943 copper cent. I think you're going to need to spend some more money on it to be absolutely sure if it's real or not.

From: https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/genuine-or-fake-1943-copper-penny-768883

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to tell the difference between a genuine 1943 copper penny and a Chinese counterfeit. Fortunately, Lincoln cent experts at third-party grading services can tell the difference by closely inspecting the coin under a stereo microscope. Additionally, a professional numismatist may be able to tell the difference for you before you send it to a third-party grading

My assessment, based on your images, is that it is a fake, and a bad one. Way too many problems with this coin other than a very irregular “3”.

Time for more coffee.

Looks good to me! The '3' on a genuine 1943 penny (both steel and copper) looks the same as yours. Sure there are many counterfeits, but few would end up in circulation as counterfeits cost money to produce too. You may have found a million+ dollar coin! Be careful who you have look at it, unscrupulous people could tell you it's fake and switch it out with an actual fake if you don't keep your eye on them.
1943-P-No-Mint-Mark-Steel-Penny-Value.jpg
1943-No-Mint-Mark-Copper-Penny-Value.jpg

It would be risky, it costs quite a bit and very little chance it is genuine.
I’m just weighing the value. On one hand you may have a very rare, valuable coin and could pay a relatively low sum to find out.
On the other hand, you can continue to wonder ad nauseum and save a few dollars.
I would rather know.

First off, I appreciate everyone's comments. Me personally, I feel very strongly that what I have is real! It legitimately passes all of the test. No Magnet, the weight is within tolerances allotted by the US Mint. As is the diameter and thickness. The 3 has the tail lower than the other numbers( showing that it not a ground away 8). It has also passed through a xray machine.
I completely understand the rarity of this coin and understand why so many people are so quick to say it is Fake. Today I took it to another shop. They tested in every way and it passed all of their test. But because very few people have seen a Graded version of it. They have nothing to truly compare it to. They hesitated to even say that it was not real. They said that the 3 was not right and that is was a shaved down 8. But as you can see in the picture. That is not the case. Maybe I should take it on PawnStars and have Rick Harrison bring in the professionals!

If it were mine, I'd submit it to a reputable grading service. If they say it's legit, I'd submit it to Heritage Auctions for their opinion as to value at auction.
Don.....
Submitting it yes! I don't have enough trust to send it somewhere. I would rather go on a road trip and take it in person!

First off, I appreciate everyone's comments. Me personally, I feel very strongly that what I have is real! It legitimately passes all of the test. No Magnet, the weight is within tolerances allotted by the US Mint. As is the diameter and thickness. The 3 has the tail lower than the other numbers( showing that it not a ground away 8). It has also passed through a xray machine.
I completely understand the rarity of this coin and understand why so many people are so quick to say it is Fake. Today I took it to another shop. They tested in every way and it passed all of their test. But because very few people have seen a Graded version of it. They have nothing to truly compare it to. They hesitated to even say that it was not real. They said that the 3 was not right and that is was a shaved down 8. But as you can see in the picture. That is not the case. Maybe I should take it on PawnStars and have Rick Harrison bring in the professionals!
I'm on't want to make this sound confrontational in any way though I'd like to ask the question.
What do you mean exactly?

"It has also passed through a xray machine."

Reactions: ARC
I'm on't want to make this sound confrontational in any way though I'd like to ask the question.
What do you mean exactly?
One of the coin shops that I took it to actually put it in some sort xray like machine to test the metal content! It has also been looked at through a stereo microscope!

Well it seems we have a few here that have chimed in.
Thats ok though.
I will find and post pictures of your coin... only they will have the word "copy" on them.
Then perhaps some here / you will see the "3" being EXACT. heh

Better yet... let me just post this first link that just came up just now in first row of search return.... where you can buy these direct... all day long.
Compare....
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255799832357495.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

Last edited:
The coin has been altered post mint to look like a 1943 copper cent. Lots of fake coins out there! LOTS!

One of the coin shops that I took it to actually put it in some sort xray like machine to test the metal content! It has also been looked at through a stereo microscope!
The Chinese fakes also pass all those tests, so unfortunately that doesn't mean much anymore. The major grading services sometimes have a representative at major coin shows, you can check for some near you.

Looks good to me! The '3' on a genuine 1943 penny (both steel and copper) looks the same as yours. Sure there are many counterfeits, but few would end up in circulation as counterfeits cost money to produce too. You may have found a million+ dollar coin! Be careful who you have look at it, unscrupulous people could tell you it's fake and switch it out with an actual fake if you don't keep your eye on them.
View attachment 2085234View attachment 2085235
It wasn't found in circulation. It was purchased for $150.00 off Craigslist

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back