What's new

1949 D/S nickel error ***UPDATE***

Shake-N-Bake

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
647
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Hello everyone,

I was looking closely at some possible errors today and think I found a 1949 D/S error. It is hard to get a good picture but comparing what I have to this site I just found (thanks to Gman) it sure does look like it to me. You can see the bottom of the "S" and the top at about the 1 O'clock position of the "D". At least it looks like a "S" poking from underneath to me. What do you think?

***UPDATE*** just got back from the monthly coin show in Albany NY and after showing 7 dealers it has come to the conclusion that it IS a 1949 D/S error. Later this week I will be sending it to PCGS for authentication.
Happy Hunting,
Jason

Also has anyone ever used the microscope that goes to the USB port of the computer. I want to get one just not sure how they work.
 

Attachments

  • 1949D-S.webp
    1949D-S.webp
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,771
Upvote 0
Re: 1949 D/S nickel error

It's really hard to tell Jason, I understand trying to get a better picture....

I never heard of a microscope that you can hook up to a computer, that would be a neat thing to get!
 
Re: 1949 D/S nickel error

Since the D's were Minted in Denver & S's in San francisco

I'd say Impossable. for a D/S

DD or other error maybe
 
Re: 1949 D/S nickel error

jeff of pa said:
Since the D's were Minted in Denver & S's in San francisco

I'd say Impossable. for a D/S

DD or other error maybe

D over S is listed in the red book as a legitimate error.

FYI: The D over S error is an error that occurred when making the die. The die may have been made some place other than Denver or San Francisco. I personally do not know where they are made.
 
Re: 1949 D/S nickel error

Shake-N-Bake said:
Also has anyone ever used the microscope that goes to the USB port of the computer. I want to get one just not sure how they work.

You don't need a microscope that hooks up to a computer. Just one that allows a camera to be attached to the eyepiece. The guys on http://www.coppercoins.com seem to use something like that for all their close ups. They focus only on penny errors....and boy oh boy are there a lot of them....
 
Re: 1949 D/S nickel error

GMan00001 said:
jeff of pa said:
Since the D's were Minted in Denver & S's in San francisco

I'd say Impossable. for a D/S

DD or other error maybe

D over S is listed in the red book as a legitimate error.

FYI: The D over S error is an error that occurred when making the die. The die may have been made some place other than Denver or San Francisco. I personally do not know where they are made.

Intresting.

I never thought of that Possability.

THANKS !
 
Re: 1949 D/S nickel error

I see it, great job!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Re: 1949 D/S nickel error

Looks like it's definitely possible, but hard to tell without a better pic. If it is, though, great find! You must have awesome eyes to be able to spot that.
 
Re: 1949 D/S nickel error

Hi all!

To all who are wondering, this is how it happens.
The die started out in San Fran. Denver needed more dies , so it was sent to Denver. The new mintmark is then put on the die, and the person doing it either didn't try to remove the old mintmark or did a sorry job doing it.

HH
 
Re: 1949 D/S nickel error

there's some kid (i think) on the "coins" forum who has a computer microscope...he has posted dozens of errors...i'll look him up....i think his name is ink spot or something like that....be right back
 
Re: 1949 D/S nickel error

sorry so late in getting back....i was wrong his name is ELVISFAN....go to the "coins" forum(the first one),,,,scroll down to November and you'll see lots of computer pics....unbeleivable closeups
 
Re: 1949 D/S nickel error

mistergee said:
sorry so late in getting back....i was wrong his name is ELVISFAN....go to the "coins" forum(the first one),,,,scroll down to November and you'll see lots of computer pics....unbeleivable closeups

I looked at them, in one he says he is using the QX-5 Microscope. I have wanted something like this for a long time, I might just buy one or something similar here before spring. ;D

Here is a link to Amazon where they have it for $150.
http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Enterta...iencehobbyist/B0002HLKI2?tag=treasurenet01-20

Technical Details

* Simply connect this microscope to any PC and watch as the tiny things are magnified to incredible size -- and displayed on your monitor

* Up to 200X magnification for seeing the tiniest particles and microbes, bigger than life

* Requires USB port
 
Thanks treasurefiend for the info. I am going to order one. I will keep you posted when I get it and how it works.

***UPDATE*** just got back from the monthly coin show in Albany NY and after showing 7 dealers it has come to the conclusion that it IS a 1949 D/S error. Later this week I will be sending it to PCGS for authentication.
Happy Hunting,
Jason
 
Awesome, congrats!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom