1949 Plymouth Emblem? Car Part or Just a Decorative Pin?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a small metal emblem today. With a lot of research, I determined that it's probably a 1949 Plymouth emblem. Not 100% positive, but that's my best guess.

It's about the size of a nickel and has a staple type attachment on the back. My main question is, does this go on a car somewhere or is it just some decorative pin? Maybe a door panel emblem or something like that? Any help on this one would be appreciated!

Here's a couple of pics:

1949 plymouth.JPG 1949 plymouth back.JPG

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Could it be a tie tack? If it is the same as a '49 Plymouth, could it have been worn by a car salesman?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems too heavy to be a pin or a tie tack. Also, the back edges are beveled, which you wouldn't need to do with a pin. Reminds me of a door panel emblem or a grill emblem. No part number on it, though. But most pins usually have the manufacturer's name stamped on the back somewhere. Guess I'm going to have to research it more!

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I'd thought for sure that it was a lapel pin, but I notice it has an alignment pin to keep it oriented correctly, and that that pin isn't sharp the way it would be for clothing use. And I can see a wear groove on the main pin from the retainer clip, which doesn't happen as much on lapel pins, not being subject to years of vibration.I looked pretty hard, but can't find one like it. I suspect it broke out of a larger badge/emblem, but that's just guess.
What is your source for the 1949 date? I did see some grilles which included the kneeling Indians on each side, but not configured exactly the same.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a 1949 Plymouth plastic hood emblem on eBay with the same design on it. But the weird thing is the colors were reversed on the hood emblem. The middle was red and the ends were blue (like the pin above)! Strange.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions