What's new

1956-D Wheaty Error?

chicepo

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
82
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Calabash, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Ace 250/Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a mint error? I can't find any mention of this error in any of the site I veiw? The D is almost touching the tail of the 9. First Picture is the error and 2nd picture is the standard 1956-D.
Can any one tell me what's up with the coin?
 

Attachments

  • 1956-D Error.webp
    1956-D Error.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 544
  • 1956-D.webp
    1956-D.webp
    15.9 KB · Views: 500
It is difficult to say. The 1956 Denver cent has many RPM (Re-Punched Mintmark) varieties. Some are right on top of each other, and others are faint ghosts. You will have to look at it under magnification. I believe there are over 18 different RPMs just for the 1956 Denver cent.
 
Another possibility - The mint marks were hand punched into the die. Because of this there are variations in the placement of the mint mark. If you don't see evidence of a RPM, it is probably just 2 cents with different mint mark locations.
 
waseeker said:
Another possibility - The mint marks were hand punched into the die. Because of this there are variations in the placement of the mint mark. If you don't see evidence of a RPM, it is probably just 2 cents with different mint mark locations.
Exactly! No error, just different placement.
 
I'll chime in again. I agree with the others as it is more than likely just a different placement of the mintmark (without studying the coins in question under magnification). However, your "normal" cent might be a RPM. One of the tell-tale signs of D/D RPM is 'chunkiness/thick' mintmarks.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom