What's new

Opinions on this 1972-D Lincoln Head Cent Error Coin on an Off-Metal Planchet (foreign?) with a Double Off-Center Strike??

Seek Ye First

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2014
Messages
69
Reaction score
120
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an opportunity to buy this coin but need your opinion on it's authenticity and possible value. I have only seen pictures of it but it looks genuine to me. It may have been struck on a foreign planchet as it only weighs 1.94 grams and is missing any copper on the edge. Research shows the U.S. Mint struck coins for foreign countries in 1972. I've attached a few pics for your examination. Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • 1972-D Double Strike 01.webp
    1972-D Double Strike 01.webp
    151.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 1972-D Double Strike 02.webp
    1972-D Double Strike 02.webp
    174.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 1972-D Double Strike 03.webp
    1972-D Double Strike 03.webp
    70.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 1972-D Double Strike 04.webp
    1972-D Double Strike 04.webp
    241.8 KB · Views: 42
I'm extremely suspicious, there are so many fake error coins around now. The odds of being double struck on a foreign planchet would be astronomical, and the second strike doesn't look as crisp as it should be. It would have to be really cheap for me to take a chance without it being authenticated.
 
Looks like a strange color. When a coin is double struck is it typically struck again with the coin having rotated some or should the double strike be in like with the previous strike just over a small distance?
 
as a novelty I would consider it... as an investment, I would not...
 
I would say no, I don't think it's a genuine regular business strike mint error for the following reasons..... Color and maybe planchet metal type, very weak strike, and it just seems too round for that sort of error. I would think the metal would have flowed out of the die collar a lot more. I hope I'm wrong though! :icon_thumright:
 
Thanks for the opinions everyone! I agree it does seem rather odd looking and none of the coins the US Mint struck for other countries fit the weight. They were all proof or special set uncirculated coins.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom