What's new

1970 D & S Kennedy Halves - How Scarce?

Megalodon

Silver Member
Joined
May 13, 2018
Messages
2,664
Reaction score
4,376
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These coins were only distributed in mint and proof sets - but so were other halves and yet we find those. Why no 1970s?

Has anyone done a population analysis of the 40% halves by date? IMO, we should be seeing more 1970s in CRH - if the mintage records are correct.
 
Upvote 0
We have found 1 in ten years of searching. We average one box a week plus about 5 banks stops looking for customer wrapped rolls.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner
 
These coins were only distributed in mint and proof sets - but so were other halves and yet we find those. Why no 1970s?

Has anyone done a population analysis of the 40% halves by date? IMO, we should be seeing more 1970s in CRH - if the mintage records are correct.

Courtesy of Coinflation:

Year Mintage Numismatic Value Range
1965 65,879,366 $2.50 - $20.00
1966 108,984,932 $2.50 - $22.00
1967 295,046,978 $2.50 - $20.00
1968 D 246,951,930 $2.50 - $20.00
1969 D 129,881,800 $2.50 - $22.00
1970 D 2,150,000 $5.00 - $40.00

I've found 2 in the wild and picked up one proof set at a garage sale for $1.

Or Let's put it this way:

Year Mintage % of Total
1965 65,879,366 7.63%
1966 108,984,932 12.62%
1967 295,046,978 34.15%
1968 D 246,951,930 28.59%
1969 D 129,881,800 15.03%
1970 D 2,150,000 0.25%
1976 15,000,000 1.74%

I added in 15 million for bi-centennials as there were the following: Silver Clad (S): 11,000,000; Silver Clad Proof (S): 4,000,000

So from a population perspective, 1970 half dollars represent a quarter of 1% of all silver 40%'s.
 
Last edited:
Like the previous poster said, total distributed is the reason. You assumed that all totals produced each year are the same.
 
Ender.webp

My only one was an ender!
 
Courtesy of Coinflation:

Year Mintage Numismatic Value Range
1965 65,879,366 $2.50 - $20.00
1966 108,984,932 $2.50 - $22.00
1967 295,046,978 $2.50 - $20.00
1968 D 246,951,930 $2.50 - $20.00
1969 D 129,881,800 $2.50 - $22.00
1970 D 2,150,000 $5.00 - $40.00

I've found 2 in the wild and picked up one proof set at a garage sale for $1.

Or Let's put it this way:

Year Mintage % of Total
1965 65,879,366 7.63%
1966 108,984,932 12.62%
1967 295,046,978 34.15%
1968 D 246,951,930 28.59%
1969 D 129,881,800 15.03%
1970 D 2,150,000 0.25%
1976 15,000,000 1.74%

I added in 15 million for bi-centennials as there were the following: Silver Clad (S): 11,000,000; Silver Clad Proof (S): 4,000,000

So from a population perspective, 1970 half dollars represent a quarter of 1% of all silver 40%'s.

Thanks for calculating those. With a large enough sample size from CRH, we could compare our found % by date to the % minted to test for significance between the expected and observed % at different alpha levels. With an "expected" of 0.25%, we should be finding 1 1970 out of every 400 40% halves. I suspect the actual observed % may be much lower. I need to increase my sample size!
 
The numbers make sense, except for one key factor: Most of the 40% halves were released for circulation, while all of the 1970 D & S halves were bought at a premium and part of sets. Therefore most people who have these halves, have them as part of sets (except for those that were freed and released into the wild on purpose or through theft etc.). So they are actually much rarer than 1 out of 400 for all 40% halves, as we are actually talking about two very distinct populations: circulated and mint/proof set. The fact that these two populations mix, albeit in very small numbers, is why we all CRH: to take advantage of the fact that most people don't know or care about the value of what is in their pocket, dresser drawer, grandpa's collection, etc.
 
I've got two now.
 
I found one, a 1970-S Proof, in 238,000 halves searched. I still haven’t found the 1970-D. The toughest Kennedy to find in the wild IMHO.
 
Here's the picture.054DE6E6-DDD7-45A2-AB7B-5BFAF52ED124.webp
 
I’ve found 2, 70D, and 1, 70S in the equivalent of about 170 boxes. I consider myself lucky.
 
I'm still looking for my first. I've only been at this seriously for about 3 years.
 
I never found one.
 
Now THERE'S a "What are the chances?" photo!

But if you do, you have to oversensationalize it and add theatrics to it to get attention and views. Post a pic of yourself making an 'O' face, bugging your eyes out and looking at it on a table, and put all caps in the subject line.
 
Been searching for 20 years and never found one. I don't search boxes though. I bought a 70-S some 10 years ago
 
Been searching for four years and found one 1970-D. Old teller said I wouldn’t find any silver in those rolls!
 
Been searching for 20 years and never found one. I don't search boxes though. I bought a 70-S some 10 years ago

It seems like a good value to buy one of these, considering how few are being found in the wild by posters here.
 
You can buy one for less than $10. I think the 70S costs less than the 70D.
 
I just thought of this. I did get the 1976S silver proof half just last month there are about as many of these minted as the 70D and 70S combined, and alot of the unsold 76 coins were melted at the mint in 1982. So the 70 D and S are out there to be found. I have also gotten the 76S silver non proof two times (although many more of these minted vs the 1970 coins)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom