Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Geoff,
The filming dates for the video you posted, was in 4 chunks, starting around 1960, and the most recent was 1974.

If the volume is turned up on the video, the narrator explains that part.
🤷🏼‍♂️👍

Sincerely,
Idahodutch

Last edited:
OP
OP
Geoffnotjeff

Geoffnotjeff

Nov 30, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geoff,
The filming dates for the video you posted, was in 4 chunks, starting around 1960, and the most recent was 1974.

🤷🏼‍♂️👍

Sincerely,
Idahodutch

Geoff,

🤷🏼‍♂️👍

Sincerely,
Idahodutch
Yep. This was on a dvd that had a cover of A&E Treasure the lost Dutchman mine - hence the question.

Have you seen that 1998 video? Is this it or not?

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Geoff, the video you posted was Bob Lee's. A different (and earlier) piece than the A&E program. He also produced a book during that time-frame.

I've seen the A&E video you're looking for somewhere online but can't remember where.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep. This was on a dvd that had a cover of A&E Treasure the lost Dutchman mine - hence the question.

Have you seen that 1998 video? Is this it or not?
Geoff,
I don’t think I’ve seen it. 😕
Potbelly Jim is a good guy, I don’t think he would steer you wrong 👍🤓

Sincerely,
Idahodutch

OP
OP
Geoffnotjeff

Geoffnotjeff

Nov 30, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geoff, the video you posted was Bob Lee's. A different (and earlier) piece than the A&E program. He also produced a book during that time-frame.

I've seen the A&E video you're looking for somewhere online but can't remember where.
Awesome, thank you for the confirmation, much appreciated!

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Geoff,
I don’t think I’ve seen it. 😕
Potbelly Jim is a good guy, I don’t think he would steer you wrong 👍🤓

Sincerely,
Idahodutch
Actually Russ, I think I made a mistake ;)

Geoff, the video you posted was definitely Bob Lee's. I had a DVD at one time but I gave it to a friend.

The video I thought I had seen online was the "Unsolved Mysteries" episode on Walter Gassler. (Season 1, Episode 21, starting at 13:26 and ending at 25:24)(this episode is available on YouTube).

The 1998 A&E piece, which Geoff is looking for, I'm pretty sure I watched that on VHS tape instead of online.

I got rid of all my old VHS tapes a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure someone on these forums probably still has a copy. Hopefully someone will see this thread and contact you.

TDogger

Jan 22, 2016
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Freedom III, Garrett ADS Groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in 1998, Tom Kollenborn wrote an article about the A & E film crew and the project. There may be some clues in the article.

This may or may not be the same A & E video. The article refers to a video called "A&E’s documentary on the History of the Superstition Mountain region." It seems strange that there might be two 1998 A & E videos about the Superstitions and LDM.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
in 1998, Tom Kollenborn wrote an article about the A & E film crew and the project. There may be some clues in the article.

This may or may not be the same A & E video. The article refers to a video called "A&E’s documentary on the History of the Superstition Mountain region." It seems strange that there might be two 1998 A & E videos about the Superstitions and LDM.
Yes, that's it :icon_thumleft: Jim Hatt posted some photos etc. over on DUSA. He used to have some video linked up, but the video link no longer works. But lots of photos where he explains what's going on with the documentary and who was involved.

We can't post links to other forums, so just go to DUSA, Gold Prospecting and Treasure Hunting, True Stories - Chasing the Legend, navigate to page 2, and go to the "DOCUMENTARY - The Lost Dutchman Mine ~ Behind the Scenes ~ thread.

Steve Bowser

Greenie
Sep 5, 2023
Ahwatukee, AZ
Hey Geoff,

I have a copy of the 1998 Treasure! The Lost Dutchman Mine DVD by A & E Television Networks, it is 50 minutes long. I just watched the beginning of my DVD and the video you posted is not the same.

Steve
Geoff,

I forgot to add that I have the video you posted on DVD also. The DVD sleeve says The Lost Dutchman Mine, The True Story of the Mountain of Death featuring Bob Lee and Dick Martin, Deputy Sheriff Amos Hawkins, the late Tom Daley, the late Barney Barnard. My copy of the DVD doesn't have a date or the length of the video on it.

Steve

OP
OP
Geoffnotjeff

Geoffnotjeff

Nov 30, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Geoff,

I have a copy of the 1998 Treasure! The Lost Dutchman Mine DVD by A & E Television Networks, it is 50 minutes long. I just watched the beginning of my DVD and the video you posted is not the same.

Steve
Thanks!

If you ever make a copy…! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread