What's new

1998 TreasureNet ad

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
⛭ Moderator
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2003
Messages
96,808
Reaction score
76,246
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marc must Have Done Some advertising :coffee2:

This ad was In Several Papers in Several States

000aaa.webp
 
1998 was in the inflationary period of the massive Dot Com Bubble. Everything in vogue was "internet this, internet that", buy your dog food online, invest online, and it looks like Treasurenet was hoping to get a piece of that big old internet pie by treasure hunting - online! I remember all the internet companies that went belly up in after the new millennium, but we can see that Tnet and many other smaller specialty sites survived it.
 
1998 was in the inflationary period of the massive Dot Com Bubble. Everything in vogue was "internet this, internet that", buy your dog food online, invest online, and it looks like Treasurenet was hoping to get a piece of that big old internet pie by treasure hunting - online! I remember all the internet companies that went belly up in after the new millennium, but we can see that Tnet and many other smaller specialty sites survived it.

Do you remember UUNet.....Company I was working for owned UUNet, UUNet built the internet,we were installing massive routers and transmission systems building the first Tier 1 system, then expanding it to handle all the new traffic...we were a Ter 1 provider.

 
Last edited:
I still remember all the weird sounds the computer made at work when you'd turn it on and was connecting. Was like being onboard a space ship if you closed your eyes! 😄
That was the old dial up modem, 56k....
 
Do you remember UUNet.....Company I was working for owned UUNet, UUNet built the internet,we were installing massive routers and transmission systems building the first Tier 1 system, then expanding it to handle all the new traffic...we were a Ter 1 provider.

Yep. The good old days in some ways (not so good in others). Back when there was no such thing as a search engine and you pretty much had to know an IP address (or a phone number) to get anywhere. I remember having some big physical books with names of sites and descriptions and how to get to them. Paper was the search engine of the day, I guess. (Not sure of the years, though, that may have been before the 1990s. It's all a blur after a while...)

Some of that may come back into vogue, at least in niche circles. Retro computing is a thing.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom