1lb 13oz Silversmith Silver Bar! (I think hehe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this bar at an 1830s house, had been there before (but with a crappy metal detector...) Used my bounty hunter lone star pro today... (still not the best of metal detectors, but it works for my liking.) Found 2 more Ball mason jar lids (found 3 last time...) When i got a "Coin" signal.. Started digging.. and digging... 1ft down later, on the sides of the hole i hit this object, thought it was a can based on the tiny bit i saw. Pulled it out (well pried it out.) And i have this weight i thought, immediately thought lead because it was SO heavy for its size.. So i got home and decided to test it... (Mom said it didnt look like lead.. shes regretting saying that now because of my persistence! :laughing7:"

It passed a bleach tarnish test, acid test (my acid test is weird) and i tried melting it.. I took a lead weight and this thing, put the solder on the lead weight for 45seconds... it melted some off (not alot but it was noticeable..) did 45seconds on the bar, nothing. My dad said try to melt a shaved down part which i did... 45 seconds later... no melting...

I also think this was made by an actual sivlersmith. Why? Well it has a various amount of hammered dents on most sides.. Of varying sizes of hammers (or whatever tool was used.) Like someone was trrying to carve it? or shape it? Even if its not silver, still cool IMO..

IMG_1074.JPG IMG_1075.JPG IMG_1076.JPG IMG_1077.JPG IMG_1078.JPG IMG_1079.JPG IMG_1080.JPG \

Note: If you have any tests for me to try, ill do them.. im intrigued..

Upvote 10

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I've done every test I can.. I want to keep it if its a silver bar.. But I feel I may have to sell it to prove a point.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

someone mentioned salt and foil test. I've never tried it. Was curious if you did and if it worked? I do know silver has a distinct smell. it will smell your hands up if you play with tarnished silver. Kind of like playing with copper cents, and you wash them over and over trying to get rid of the smell! Silver just smells different.:laughing7:

And no! You don't have to prove a point to anyone! Unless you have doubts of what it is. It's all in fun!

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I've done every test I can.. I want to keep it if its a silver bar.. But I feel I may have to sell it to prove a point.

Keep it. I would want to take it to a jeweler for them to confirm what you already know. That is one heavy bar.

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, cause its better off to live in the lala land because knowing the truth makes booboo to your feelings. And God forbid anyone says something out of line, everything is offensive nowadays, oh no. A generation of self victimizing lala land residents.

And btw, UnderMiner you say your thread was similar to this, and youre right, you thought you had a platinum fork everyone else was telling you it wasnt ... in the end the fork wasnt platinum. Just like this brick hasnt spent a minute of its existence next to anything silver.
You have no evidence to backup its lead... Grow up and move on to rant on another thread

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dayummmm man,,,

I didn't read 9 pages to find it still hasn't been identified yet.
Take that thing to a jeweler you can TRUST,,and let them test it,,
Actually a rather simple process.

GoldBeard

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
“Should you find a wise critic to point out your faults, follow him as you would a guide to hidden treasure.”
-Buddha

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know what the 2 means on it? And could it be a blend of metals or coated in lead?

J.Cohoon04

Oct 3, 2013
N. Chesterfield, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher F2, CZ70 Pro (Borrowed), Tesoro Cibola(Sold), Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just my 2 cents. I have a friend that found half a dozen bricks like this, he gave me one to test (XRF Analyzer) it turned out to be Zinc. Somebody was probably making their own sacrificial anodes. Some scrap metal salvage shops have XRF Analyzers, so check around your area for one. Irrefutable proof of what you have will be found that way.

pull_tab21

Feb 9, 2012
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well all he has to do is take it to a jeweler (not a chain store one but a local one) to have it tested but he chooses not to. So I say just ignore this crap because no-one will ever know what the hell it is. Just like a car forum where everyone keeps putting in the .02cents but never a solution! Good luck and thanks for taking 10 min. Of my life I will never get back.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Hunk of Silver :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions