1st Day Detecting

BADDOG

Dec 21, 2004
Weeki Wachee, FL (north of Tampa)
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Just got my IDX yesterday, I was out of town. At 7:00 this morning I searched our yard, for some practice. Couldn't believe what I found!! Later went to a park and found .84 cents in clad.

Attachments

• 1922 Dollar first find.jpg
    1922 Dollar first find.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,402
Upvote 0

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Nice digs! Here's the deal, your subdivision is only 20 years old but the earth moving during it's development disturbed a rather large cache from a capo of a certain Chicagoland character that used to vaction near there. The coins, including the gold ones are now spread throughout the development at varying depths. Do not tell any of your friends or neighbors about this, just sneak in their yards after dark, probably during TV or dinner time, with a bobcat or backhoe and scrape the top 6" of their yards off. Then dump it in your driveway and go through it all!

Welcome and happy hunting!

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find. In 22 years, I have never found a silver dollar, and actually, just recently found my first half dollar. I am sure I have passed over some, but for some reason I never allowed myself to believe that people actually dropped dollars many years ago. Metal detecting is something that no matter how much you feel you may be an expert, theres always something new to learn, and I am going to start digging those half dollar and silver dollar signals.

Anthony

O

ol ploock

Wow! That is increditable!!

I agree with Lowbatts, except they might hear heavy equipment in their yard and get suspicous. You may want to invest in some night vison equipment, sleep a lot during the day and give yer neighbors yards heck at nite. The must have gazillions in silver around that neighborhood.

Roy

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Uhh, now hang on Roy! He's better off just pulling all the dirt from their yards and taking it home to search, quicker than checking each signal in the yard! Then he can also offer to landscape the neighbors yards the following day and get into a new line of business as well. Geez, see the possibilities!

but that is a nice find!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Nah Lobatt, he can tell his neighbors he bought a new electronic gopher killer and wants to try it out in their yards. Then he needs to dig dup their remaims. ;D HH

O

ol ploock

Yeah! and when he gits it all done, he'll have more silver than the loan arranger!

Durn I wish I could dig me up a silver dollar. Thats one heckova find!

D

Darod

You know,....I was thinking? He might as well give up on MD'ing now,....the fat lady has already sung :)

Rod

OP
OP
BADDOG

BADDOG

Dec 21, 2004
Weeki Wachee, FL (north of Tampa)
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Well it has been almost a week and I'm beginning to believe what you all are saying. I haven't found another one yet.
I have found alot of clad, few wheaties, a newer bullet, and a hunk of metal that looks like it was melted in a tablespoon. Oh ya a gazillion pull tabs, keep thinking their going to be gold. Once it has been officially a week I will post a pic.

DetectoDude

May 2, 2004
So. Ca.
There is definitely something to beginners luck! Congrats and keep at it if you find another one I want to know where you live so I can visit!!!!!!!!!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BADDOG, you found a magnificent coin there! I'm sure you will make many more great discoveries, but remember to be patient. Finds like that don't occur every day...like the other folks here were saying. What a way to start!

onlinesniper

Jun 16, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find mate ;D HH good luck for future hunts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread