1st Day of Hunting - Ever

NC Iron Man

Apr 28, 2010
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Ace 250
Gave my dad an Ace 250 Saturday. We went out and hunted (with permission) an old civil war era homestead about 3 miles deep into South Carolina Private Lands. Found what appears to be an ax head or hatchet head and lots of nails... The item is terribly corroded with rust, but the approximate shape and curvature appear right. It's about 9 inches long and very heavy. Can anyone confirm based on the limited info?

Area is amazingly free of modern trash. Hoping to go back soon. Once we learn to eliminate the iron signals better, we hope to score some artifacts.

Attachments

• 1st Finds.JPG
    1st Finds.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 493

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet NC Iron Man :hello2:

Kind of hard to tell from the pic and the corrosion of the iron. Maybe do electrolysis on the iron piece and re post a pic :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From one NC Tarheel to another: Welcome to the forum! If you could clean some of the rust off, we could better judge what it is and the age. Breezie

Upvote 0

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what the big hunk of iron is that you got there , but here is some info on those nails :sign13:
It looks like a good place to do some more searching .
Some of those nails look to be quite old !

The pics are from a book called " Kovels' Know your Antiques "

WELCOME TO T-NET :hello:

Attachments

• cteen 001.jpg
    cteen 001.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 463
  • cteen 003.jpg
    cteen 003.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 456
  • cteen 004.jpg
    cteen 004.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 453
  • cteen 002.jpg
    cteen 002.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 452
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hence the name! :wink: I suppose "NC Gold Man" was taken? ;D

You got the right idea. Where there is old iron there tends to be other better targets too.

Upvote 0

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point :icon_thumright: If you're not digging some iron, you're missing cool finds, iron being some of them :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First hunt and only second post! Welcome and you are off to a good start. Those old squareish nails are indeed artifacts. They hold promise of better things to come. Set that little ACE on "Artifacts" and use only about 4 clicks of sensitivity and try it again. With all the iron you probably need a "Stinger" coil to better seperate the iron from the other things. Iron will mask many better finds with the ACE. Take the time to learn tht machine and you will find it is as good as many high dollar machines but much easier to use. I have a much more expensive machine than my ACE but I still use my ACE a lot and it is the only detector out of 5 that I wouldn't sell. Good going. Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread