1st metal detector finds: large iron fragment

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been on TNet for a few years saving up for my first detector. I finally got a Garrett Ace 400 last week. I spent a few hours in my backyard digging every signal to learn, but my pinpointer hadn't come yet. I don't know how you do this without one!

It came last night and I took my 14 year old son into the backyard today in hopes he would get the bug for detecting. We spent a couple of hours getting some foil, pull tabs, a 2" piece of copper tube, and a nail spill of 14+ nails. We were both getting a little tired, and I said, "One more good signal." We found a strong iron-y one and quickly dug out a piece of plastic with iron attached (don't know what that is), and I said go over the hole again to see if there is anything else. We still had a strong signal so we kept digging. About 8" down was this hunk of iron. My son was quite impressed, but I said it was probably son old plumbing part. He insisted we try to research it so I thought I would post it here. I don't suspect it is anything special, but I am glad to have joined the ranks of detectorists. We are in Kennesaw, Georgia (not near the battlefield) in a neighborhood built on old farm land in the early 1980's. Thanks for looking.

IMG_2046.JPG
IMG_2048.JPG
IMG_2049.JPG
IMG_2050.JPG

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome from Connecticut!
This is a great hobby.
dts

Upvote 0

matthewc61

Aug 4, 2019
Cypress Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That last picture looks like a piece off a wood burning stove or fireplace surround. I would clean that last piece and see if there is any decorative pattern on it. Was there an old homesite there?

Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
History Teacher, hello from a fellow Georgian. My wife and I are from Covington, Georgia in Newton County about 35 miles east of Atlanta. We are contemplating on adding to the distance between ourselves and the Big A town. I found my first CW Relic at age 13 in 1969 and you'll never guess where. Kennesaw. This was before it became a Federal Park. It was a piece of Hotchkiss shell.

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought was part of a plow, but then I realized that it seems to be made from cast iron so that would rule out it being part of a plow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to metal detecting.

What you have there is a piece of something that was of cast iron and broken at some time. If you detect areas that have been farmed for 150+ years you will eventually ignore those because they make up 80% of targets. ;-)

Upvote 0

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought was part of a plow, but then I realized that it seems to be made from cast iron so that would rule out it being part of a plow.

Well not really , plows were made from cast for many years . I still own and use one here on my farm.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread