1st ring of year-sterling w/diamond

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC01109.JPG this is my first ring this year. Its 9.25 on inside and about a 1kt diamond I think. will have to get it checked out. Very small size though. Found 2-3 inches down in my nieces yard so we'll split the ring. also found some clad and a wheat cent 1936. Also found a geocash accidently down by the river. Great day

Upvote 7
nice silver! usually real diamonds aren't put in sterling, but no harm to verify.

since the price of gold shot up so high, the average person can hardly afford gold rings these days. sterling silver rings have become the norm. personally, I think silver is a horrible material for a ring because it is too soft and scratches easily as well as tarnishes. even so, lots of silver rings these days do have genuine diamonds, although they are usually small and of a very poor quality. I have no doubt that this find is a cz just based on size alone.

Most likely it is CZ like jewelerguy says or it is moissanite...

Last edited:
thanks for replies, I have read that usually diamonds are poor quality set in silver. The ring wasn't tarnished just dirty pulled from good topsoil, I,ll post when I can get it checked out. I do believe its old though. JR

Sweet ring !

Yea should just be CZ. Cool find!

Very nice looking ring, I sure hope it's real...let us know. Congratulations.

I would like to offer a 'slight' retraction of the statement I made earlier on this thread. While it would be absurd to mount a larger genuine diamond in a .925 silver ring, I do on occasion see larger genuine diamonds mounted in 'platinaire', which is 95% sterling and 5% platinum. This mixture was created to sell as a 'tarnish resistant' alternative to a .925 ring. They are only slightly tougher to scratch than silver. Personally, I think they are just as equally crappy. I have seen these rings mounted with 1/5, 1/3, and even 1/2 carat diamonds. While genuine, they are usually very poor quality being very cloudy with inclusions or heavily speckled with black carbon

Regardless the outcome of the stone, nice find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back