1st Timers Questions.

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
1st Timer's Questions.

Hi all. Just found this site a couple of days ago trying to sooth my nerves while I wait for my first real detector to arrive. Just figured out how to post a note. I bought an old farm about 5 years ago and want to do some checking around. The last owner died and his son came out to organize the sale. While the place was in escrow, I noticed that the son had dug holes all over the place, (it's a 10 acre farm). When I asked why he told me they were perc tests?!?! Anyway, can't wait to check it out and will be pumping you all for help and input. Great site!!!! Really enjoyed the hallucinations and ramblings of Jacko? ::)

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1st Timer's Questions.

Welcome aboard 8) I would dig to china on that farm of yours. Run in All Metal mode and dig the hell out of that place.?

I bet Jacko is having the last laugh weighing all his gold while reading your thread. ;D

Let us not judge that which we do not understand 8)

OP
OP
Colorado2

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used

True_Metal said:
Welcome aboard 8) I would dig to china on that farm of yours. Run in All Metal mode and dig the hell out of that place.?

I bet Jacko is having the last laugh weighing all his gold while reading your thread.? ;D

Let us not judge that which we do not understand 8)

Humblest apologies, didn't mean to raise any hackles on my first day!

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

None raised, Colorado, and I meant no offense 8) We are all THers here and each have our own click.?

It's nice to learn and see things here from others that most will probably never experience first hand.

What detector did you choose?

Please post pics of your finds, as we here like to see them. 8)

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X

I don't see anything in your post about research! I can"t see a person getting rich off 1o acre's. The owner that passed away, Talk with people who new him and check his Will at Court House. You may get a better filling about things. 10 acres can be a big area to look over to say nothing of the time. If you should find something, zip the lip! Or you will have people coming out of the wood work claiming it is theres. Plus check into the history of the place. There may have been something put there from another time. You might ask the man that dug the holes about something buried there and if there was, let him know he'd have to work through you if there was. But I think you'd really get a feeling as to rather he thought there might be something there. Like has anyone offered to buy your place? Good Luck Colorado ;)

cpt_peewee

Jan 22, 2004
LA (Lower Arkansas)

If they were perc tests, there will be test results. Ususally, they will be filed with the county or the health department. Asking for the results will answer the question quickly. (As owner it is your right to them!) Also, I cannot speak for your state, but in Arkansas it is unneccessary to do perc tests on parcels of 10 acres or more unless you are filing a subdivision plan. Even so, perc tests gradually losing credibility in favor of a soil morphology check in deeper soils.
HH
PW

OP
OP
Colorado2

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used

TM - Thanks for the background. I was just higly enterained by some of Jacko's postings. I decided on the Whites MXT. Seems like a good one, do you agree?

CPT-Thanks for the technical input but I'm pretty sure perc test are done with better equipment than a shovel. Besides there was no real reasoning to how he dug the holes.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I had a Perc test done, I was requested to dig? a dozen holes, throught my property. each hole was about 1 foot deep. , WHEN THE MAN came to do the test, he dumped a bucket of water in each & timed it sinking into the ground. NOT VERY COMPLICATED.? :) I would say 9 to 1 they were perc tests. SORRY ; Jeff

OP
OP
Colorado2

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used

Hi Jeff. I know I'm new to this but here's what didn't make sense to me. The man that dug the holes was the deceased owner's son. He came up from Texas to handle the details of the estate, although he had grown up on this property. I saw him digging the holes after I had committed to buying the property, i.e. ernest money paid and closing date set. Unless I'm mistaken there really wouldn't have been any reason for him to perc test the property. ~Andy

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You're probably right there ANDY, unless it's some kind of state law there. weather or not, the ground is up to code for a new septic system would be the new owners problem. especially since you already signd the papers.? in those circumstances, it shure looks like he was trying to find something. of course that dosn't mean he did. either way, old farms are great places to search so....? GOOD LUCK & keep us posted . HH jeff <><><> BTW, good places to search UNDER LARGE TREES, MIDWAY BETWEEN LARGE TREES, AROUND NATURAL MARKERS (large rocks) , MIDWAY BETWEEN NATURAL MARKERS. & ON AN ANGLE STRAIGHT OUT FROM EACH CORNER OF THE HOUSE AND ALL OUT BUILDINGS. don't forget inside every out building also. & not just the floors, also check on top of High ledges inside these buildings. especially the ones you need a ladder to get up at.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Colorado 8)

I run a minelab and never messed with an MXT but from what i have heard from the MXT users they are killer machines. Congrats 8)

Yep, dude, sounds like you might have a cache on your property. Maybe the old man died and didnt tell the son where it was before he went or was pissed off at him or something and took the secret to the grave. His kid is looking for something for sure!

I would cover every inch of that farm if i was you! ;D

OP
OP
Colorado2

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used

Hi TM. Thanks for the encouragment. So far I've had about 50/50 responses from this site encouragment to discouragement. Thanks for ending it on an up note. I will hunt every square inch of this place. Thanks for the endorsement on my choice of MD's & thanks for putting the adrenaline back into the hunt. I'll let you know if anything exciting turns up~

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado

Did the guy have a detector in the area?

If not I would start where the guy was digging and work in a circle getting just past the furthest hole then grid in that area.

If that doesn't do it get a backhoe! LOL

OP
OP
Colorado2

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used

No MD that I know of Onion. Problem is, I have tractored over these holes for 5 years now. I can barely remember general locations. But he didn't find what he was looking for anyways. It's of more value to me that he was just looking and tipped me off to the fact that there was something to look for. Where he was digging doesn't comply with any of the advice I've been given. It can't be seen from a window. It's not within throwing distance of the house. It's not near any of the animal pens. No landmarks, trees or rocks. I don't know what to think but will take Jeff's advice and start with those areas. Thanks for the input~Andy

P.S. Great finds last year and congratulations on your recent ring finds!

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004

Hey c-2 it would seem to me you would only do perc tests if you were going to build something not to sell an exsiting property. Sounds fishy did the bank recieve any reports? I would do a good search of the whole farm, you got the time and you own it. Good hunting. Cladius.

bhelk

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2004

This is great, all these engineering and surveying questions...........the perc (percolation) tests are required by your governing body if you are installing a drainfield to an on-site septic sewage system. They just want to make sure the waste will percolate into the soil.

Virgil

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

altho I don't see it mentioned, there is also one other possability. the SON may have rembered burying something in the field as a young? boy and hoped to find it. I wouldn't completly rule out the area he was digging. due to the fact it would have been out of the site of his parents, you just never know.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No prob, Colorado.

You might try doing some research on the former owner family to find anything that might indicate something buried there. You would be surprised at the info to be had over the net or by talking to living relatives. I would go balls out and ask the kid what the hell he was really doing that day and if need be get a deal going with him to spill his guts. There might be a fortune hidden in your yard! :o

OP
OP
Colorado2

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used

Thanks guys. I've got a question about researching the owners. Where do I start. I've talked to the neighbor about him, and learned a few interesting facts. Like not trusting banks (Hmmmm),
not trusting the government (OK that's about 99% of america), and being a reclusive personality with a high IQ (I'm thinking about almost everyone I've read @ this site)! TM you mentioned doing research via the internet. What's that process? Are you talking about the sites that offer background checks for a fee? What exactly is it I'm trying to find out? His family is out. His wife was as alziemers patient and his son was completely antisocial. Everything that I tried to learn about the property from him turned out to be a lie. His wife had a daughter from a previous marriage, and there was no love loss between the 2 kids. At the estate auction, they were watching each other like hawks. What I do know is that he made plenty of money under the table from various endeavors after retirement. Built most of the houses in the area and ran several businesses "backwoods style". Is there something specific I should be researching for? Everyone that has corresponded with me on and off this site has mentioned researching, but not what I should be researching for. Please don't underestimate the depth of my ignorance.....Input please....Thanks up front~A ???

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holy crap! :o Researching for what? is right! You already knew everything i wondered about and then some.

Dude, get to digging pronto, i dont think a better scenario for a cache exists! 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread