2 Box Detector-Ehich ones are the best?

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The Discovery model has a cave mode on it and Whites one doesn't I believe, However they both are good ones. I had 2 of the Garretts and didnt care for them,but they might have changed on the newer ones.The fisher 2-box are not that famous as have had 3 of those thru the years. Fisher is kinda like tr type and the others are like motion type. That being said the motion type is more stable (white-Discovery) than a Fisher type. The good view with a Garrett is you have a metal detector left when you take off the 2 box system. I have a Whites about 4 yrs old,that I use now but like a Discovery the best, just a thought. shortribs rwd mo

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Most Transistorized 2 Box detectors are good and will go at least 6'. The one exception is the Garret which is basically a modified TR detector. You don't have to spend a lot of money for one. I have a Hays 2 Box that I picked up for about $250 or so. It will go down 6'+ as based on actual finds. You Have to learn how to use it. The key is learning how to balance the relationship between the two coils. There is a null point where the coils are perpendicular. You must set it a hair above this point to get max dept. I prefer the units with separate transmitter box in the rear and receiver box in front. The Hays will run several days on 2- 9V batteries. You don't have to worry about junk because they don't see the small stuff. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

Last edited:

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used a Whites TM-800 (same as Discovery TF-900) and TM-808. Do not think they will do wonders. They have a very limited purpose and that is open country flat terrain with no trash. I have mine stored away and never use it anymore. Get better depth using a VLF with a 18 inch coil or my Pulse induction unit with a 25" coil. Way better detection with the loops. Yes I have a test garden and this has been proven time after time.
I only do cache hunting.

G

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
We have a White's 808 TM. Very reliable and good depth.

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dixiegal,
What size object have you found using the TM-808 and how deep was it?

thanks

G

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I've used a Whites TM-800 (same as Discovery TF-900) and TM-808. Do not think they will do wonders. They have a very limited purpose and that is open country flat terrain with no trash. I have mine stored away and never use it anymore. Get better depth using a VLF with a 18 inch coil or my Pulse induction unit with a 25" coil. Way better detection with the loops. Yes I have a test garden and this has been proven time after time.
I only do cache hunting.

G

I think, just perhaps, you have a problem with your TM-800. I had an older Whites 500XL 2 Box that would go at least 6' down and to the side to find items in stone foundations. It would only find items about bread box size or larger. Junk like nails etc were not picked up so it worked out great in a junky area. My Hays that I now have has found a .50 cal ammo can at 6' and it also will not pick up junk. I know the adjustments are touchy on a 2 Box because if you hit it you might have to fine tune it. The perpendicularity setting between the two coils is critical, but that spacing between the two coils is what gives it the dept. Another beauty of a 2 Box is you can work it from waist height, that is over weeds. I use mine with a shoulder strap. it is less effort than swinging a coil, especially a large coil. Just my experience cache hunting. Frank...

hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

Last edited:

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn,

I used to own a TM-800 and upgraded to the TM-808 thinking it would be a step up. As you mention, my older TM-800 also worked very well. The difference is that the cirucuit for the older model had a patent that belonged to Discovery who makes the TF-900. In other words they were the same unit. Once Whites parted from Discovery who made the TM-800 for them, they were forced to use their own circuitry and that is where the difference is.

The sensitivity is much lower in the newer unit. Although looks are almost identical.. performance differs largely.

G

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Frankn,

I used to own a TM-800 and upgraded to the TM-808 thinking it would be a step up. As you mention, my older TM-800 also worked very well. The difference is that the cirucuit for the older model had a patent that belonged to Discovery who makes the TF-900. In other words they were the same unit. Once Whites parted from Discovery who made the TM-800 for them, they were forced to use their own circuitry and that is where the difference is.

The sensitivity is much lower in the newer unit. Although looks are almost identical.. performance differs largely.

G

The difference between the TM800 and TM808 is basicly in one controll. The TM800 had a cave mode which is missing from the TM808. What that control did was balance on the other side of the null. You might be able to do this manually, I am not sure.
I prefer the 'true' 2 Box detector, that is two separate electronic boxes packaged with their coils, transmitter in the rear and receiver in front. I have modified my Hays 2 Box by adding a bright red LED that lights when a target is detected. I use this along with the signal strength meter. I use it on low sensitivity, I have never used the high. 6' is good enough for me. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

michigan_twobox

Jun 23, 2012
I have a Garrett master hunter with the treasure hound two box coils, it works great. It's the best bang for the buck if you ask me.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I have a Garrett master hunter with the treasure hound two box coils, it works great. It's the best bang for the buck if you ask me.

IMG_8867_0222.jpg Oh, you mean one of these. I had one for a couple of days. It did go down 3'. Frank... GARRETT 10X.jpg

michigan_twobox

Jun 23, 2012
The one I have says on the side Garrett master hunter cx plus tm automatic pre programmed metal detection system. It takes six c cell batteries. It has a treasure hound cx series two box coil on it. These coils closely resemble the eagle eye coils I bet they are the same but I'm not sure. It detects deeper than I want to dig, and I always find metal when it goes off. I have found tin cans over three feet so a larger object will give a signal much deeper but I don't have the back to dig those ones.

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
I finally found a discovery tf900 on eBay and I love it. I did alot of comparison shopping and spoke with alot of people. The tf900 is the way to go!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 811368 Oh, you mean one of these. I had one for a couple of days. It did go down 3'. Frank... View attachment 811371

This came out back when Charles Garrett was trying to come up with a will do it all detector trying to stay in first place in the market. I remember Jimmy Sierra & George Mzerkowsky trying to push them at Georges shop in San Diego years back. As Frank said, the old two box units work great. Once you get the tuning & retuning down pat you've got a good piece of equipment.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I lost my old one, I think it was a Whites 500cx, in a fire. it had a blue plastic case on each end of the pole. I picked it up used,as is. I had to change it over to modern style batteries. That detector was good for an honest 12 ' and it had a dept gauge. I think I paid $150 for that one. I still think the old 2 Box setup with separate transmitter and receiver went the deepest and they are floating around out there for around $250. Jest make sure it is transistorized and not the tube models. The tube ones are power hogs and the tubes are hard to find sometimes. The old batteries for them are no longer made. Frank five star.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread