What's new

2 Brinks 1c boxes = 4,999 zincs & 1 copper

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,206
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 Brinks 1c boxes = 4,999 zincs & 1 copper

About all I can get are the Brinks plastic rolled cents that have evidently had the copper cleaned out. I searched 2 boxes and was happy to find a 1919 S Wheatie they had missed. If they miss nabbing the older slicker Wheats, then their rolls might be a good way to distill the search for older coppers. Do you think they would miss any IH cents? I'm still looking for my first non-dug IH, anybody have any tips?
 
Upvote 0
Re: 2 Brinks 1c boxes = 4,999 zincs & 1 copper

I have searched all summer trying to fill the rest of my lincoln cent book, i could have went out in bought the two i need for about 200 bucks, i need a 14d and a 11d, but i don't think it is as good of a feeling if you have to go out in buy them. I knew i was never going to find those coins, which i didnt. haha but i found over 500 wheat cents, and 2 indians. both in very nice condition. i think the only way there would be indians in the boxes would be either a broke kid wanting to make a couple bucks or a very very stupid coin collector. anyways i hope this helps you out i have searched over 1000 dollars in pennies this summer and only found two. Both were in brinks boxes to, even know i hated picking those up. HH Bill
 
Re: 2 Brinks 1c boxes = 4,999 zincs & 1 copper

buy bags of bank machines............much better than boxes
 
Re: 2 Brinks 1c boxes = 4,999 zincs & 1 copper

Yep-

Coinstar contracted Brinks to pull copper from their pennies. I get about 30% skunks from Brinks.
I also found an IH in one of those boxes. It was the only non-zinc.
Weigh before you search. If it weighs 14 lbs., turn it back in unopened.
 
Re: 2 Brinks 1c boxes = 4,999 zincs & 1 copper

TxTim, where did you get your information?
 
Re: 2 Brinks 1c boxes = 4,999 zincs & 1 copper

TXTim said:
Yep-

Coinstar contracted Brinks to pull copper from their pennies. I get about 30% skunks from Brinks.
I also found an IH in one of those boxes. It was the only non-zinc.
Weigh before you search. If it weighs 14 lbs., turn it back in unopened.

Good work Tim....interesting information.
 
Re: 2 Brinks 1c boxes = 4,999 zincs & 1 copper

ringding said:
TxTim, where did you get your information?

From another forum:

This is a post from Goldismoney.info a PM forum.....there is a big time copper guy that was in the copper sorting biz prior to the govt ban.....he has some insight as to why Brinks boxes offer so many skunks. This was posted Monday 8-4-08 at about 1:00PM:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mined Games
But someone is doing some large scale sorting around here.

I got a call on July 3rd from the coin manager at the Denver Brinks location. He said, "I've got $80,000 in COPPER pennies sitting on the dock, and I was wondering if you wanted to buy them."

Short version: Brinks has upgraded their equipment nationally and has started to sort out all the copper pennies from the coins which they process on behalf of Coinstar. Coinstar sees a future market to resell these for a profit while at the same time cutting back on the amount of coins that they have to deposit with the bank (and therefore incur banking fees).

After a couple weeks of phone calls I ended up speaking for some time with the Chief Counsel at the US Mint. Basically, the ban on melting/export is still firmly in place. Despite rumors that Jackson Metals in Ohio was purchasing these coins from Coinstar and melting them under "special permit" from the US Mint, I was assured that all applications for special permit have been declined. The mint's chief attorney told me that the ban on melting/export/"treating" would continue until the following two conditions were met:

1. The US Congress grants approval for the mint to make cents and nickels out of an alloy of their choosing (They favor a bill introduced in the Senate recently by Wayne Allard -- #1986 if I remember correctly).

2. They MUST be able to make a penny for less than $0.01. Even if they switch alloys they are not convinced - given the current inflationary environment - that another alloy would bring the cost to under $0.01.

If both of these conditions were met they would lift the ban as soon as they were producing the new alloyed coins.

I probably shouldn't be sharing so many trade secrets, but as far as I can tell it is game over for my company, Pincher Processing, because Brinks, by upgrading their equipment, just cut me out of the chain.

BTW... coinstar is currently sorting out 3,000,000 copper cents PER DAY (5 days/week) in conjunction with Brinks nationally.

One more thing: The reason they wanted to sell me that $80,000 stack of copper cents is because their (Coinstar's) inventory is getting too large while waiting for the ban to be lifted. They wanted me to tie up capital in the waiting game. Coinstar does not "deposit" the copper cents, but they are held by Brinks as "inventory" on their balance sheet.
 
Re: 2 Brinks 1c boxes = 4,999 zincs & 1 copper

Thanks for that post... VERY interesting.

Luckily I have not run into those skunk boxes or even heard of them in my area. Perhaps I should hold onto my coppas instead of ebaying them... =)

Sorry to all who HAVE been getting those skunks... glad I ain't among you.

~Dave
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom