2 Draped Bust coins--1 Authentic H.C + 1 Counterfeit Draped Bust Something

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
The 3 Datectateers got out to a site we began last week where I found a nice draped bust 1804 half cent. This week we decided to go back and hit it some more. Up and down we went . To and fro I go when a soft signal from my xl-pro told me that something was 7 or 8 inches under the coil. My new vibra probe was telling me that metal was just at the bottom of my 8 inch hole. Another Draped bust half cent. 1807 it is. I could tell it was going to be one of those days. Kirk was spouting out "button". "OH YEAH." Kyle was sweeping away 30 ft. from me. 10 minutes later another week 8 inch signal in the dry,parched dirt revealed a nice large shankless Dandy button with cool punched designs. "Awesome" Zeus is zinging lightning bolts now baby. Half an hour after that 7 inches of diggin doit and low and behold a nice silver Tomback button. "You better believe I was humming and skipping along to the rythym of my threshold.After conversing more with the landowner I went back to my sweet spot. It wasn't long and I got a signal about 5 or 6 inches deep. This folks is where it got cornfusing for me. It registered low for this type of coin. Not only that but it is made out of cheap,crumbly metal that had not a hint of the usual Coppa green. About an 8th of an inch thick. But a distinct Draped bust 1798 is on it. This coin is definitely counterfeit but you would think it not worth an early Americans time and effort to counterfeit a Draped Bust Large Cent. The 3 of us were knocking our collective heads together when the one and only Zoyboy said it is probably a counterfeit Draped bust Half Dollar. Could it be folks. This coin has some of its original size missing since it crumbled away for over 200 years. I cant see anything on the back. Nor do I see stars that would be on the front of a half dollar but like I said quite a bit of it is missing. You can't even see the word "Liberty". It is invariably a great find nonetheless and I am ecstatic with my days total. I also found an old pocketwatch and 1700's spoon handle. Enjoy everyone and thanks for reading this post.
Chris
PIC00007-2.jpg

PIC00010.jpg

Upvote 0
Re: 2 Draped Bust coins--1 Authentic H.C + 1 Counterfeit Draped Bust Half Dollar

Not getting any refers to me not getting out and finding any coins, I have explained this to someone else on this forum. And I don't understand what "redneck" humor I am being acused of, If it's my avatar, then that can be changed, I have seen worse ones out there. I just try to make people laugh when I can, but if I am offensive, then let me know. I can always find a different site to post on.

Re: 2 Draped Bust coins--1 Authentic H.C + 1 Counterfeit Draped Bust Half Dollar

Don in SJ said:
Colonial Silver Zeus said:
I can't wait to see Don in S.j's Counterfeit Dr. Bust Half Dollar on his updated avatar. :wink: ::)
Chris

Mine has detail on both sides :tongue3:
Researchless Ghost towns must be easier on coins since your Capped Bust Counterfeit has detail on the back ::)
Chris

notgittinenny said:
Not getting any refers to me not getting out and finding any coins, I have explained this to someone else on this forum. And I don't understand what "redneck" humor I am being acused of, If it's my avatar, then that can be changed, I have seen worse ones out there. I just try to make people laugh when I can, but if I am offensive, then let me know. I can always find a different site to post on.

OK, all problems are set aside. :thumbsup:

Now, let's keep the fever suuuper high! :thumbsup:

notgittinenny said:
I hope you guys aren't serious with this animosity. I see both sides of this and I appreciate your kind replies to my post. Kyle made a boo boo with his wording and rednecks may have been a little offended by your avatar. Oh well no big deal.
Chris

Re: 2 Draped Bust coins--1 Authentic H.C + 1 Counterfeit Draped Bust Quarter

Solved! Just let my quarter horse out of the barn, again....NGE

notgittinenny said:
I hope you guys aren't serious with this animosity. I see both sides of this and I appreciate your kind replies to my post. Kyle made a boo boo with his wording and rednecks may have been a little offended by your avatar. Oh well no big deal.
Chris

I modified my original post, boo boo. ::) OOOOF

I saw that, thank you......NGE I AM coming to upstate on Monday or Tuesday afternoon, for a whole week of hunting, with my New Yawwwk friend. He grew up in upstate, Endicott..... NGE

Nice early coins man.

Love that counterfit coin.

HH Jer

Chris,
Way to go on some unusual finds. You guys amaze me with the stuff you pull out up there. :thumbsup:
Kyles rasearch really pays off.
I just got my new Vibra Probe 570 this week too. Is it just me or is this model so much better than the 560? This thing is sensitive as heck.
Works fantastic.

With all the large green coppa you, Kyle, and Kirk dig, this one reminded me of you guys hunting the farm fields: :tongue3:

Congrats,
Doug

Don in SJ said:
I can't wait to see Don in S.j's Counterfeit Dr. Bust Half Dollar on his updated avatar. :wink: ::)
Chris

Mine has detail on both sides :tongue3:
Don ...That counterfeit you found is awesome. No doubt.
Chris

That is some cool stuff there, love the counterfeit!
CurbdiggerCarl

Zeus Oyster, you are still only 1 coppa ahead of me (stated in a Brian-like voice). OOOOF :D

Lemony Snicket

WOW :o :o :o :o

Chris that is a BANNER find dude :occasion14: :notworthy: :occasion14:
Your lucky there is any detail on it considering how dirt and pewter dont mix well

First thing I thought when I saw it was that the Contienantal 1776 dollars there were also pewter types.
Makes ya wonder the risky business of making bogus coins back then meant most likely capture then straight to the hangmans noose.

I noticed you meantioned the site was finished , nay nay , I'd pound it a few more times. Get those faint little squeakers and fringe targets :thumbsup:

Congrats on a stellar find :headbang:

Derek :icon_study: :thumbsup:

I'd be willing to bet that y'all haven't scanned the trees yet? The large live ones, that is. Maybe someone " squirreled " away, a lifetime's cache, stashed , in the crook of one :icon_jokercolor:

ModernMiner said:
Chris,
Way to go on some unusual finds. You guys amaze me with the stuff you pull out up there. :thumbsup:
Kyles rasearch really pays off.
I just got my new Vibra Probe 570 this week too. Is it just me or is this model so much better than the 560? This thing is sensitive as heck.
Works fantastic.

With all the large green coppa you, Kyle, and Kirk dig, this one reminded me of you guys hunting the farm fields: :tongue3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDbKlaWgR3Q

Congrats,
Doug
Thanks Doug and yeah I love my new vibraprobe. It does seem more sensitive. It doesnt have a strong vibration effect though. I did get used to it.
Chris

curbdiggercarl57 said:
That is some cool stuff there, love the counterfeit!
CurbdiggerCarl
Thanks CDC. I love it also.
Chris

Derek752 said:
WOW :o :o :o :o

Chris that is a BANNER find dude :occasion14: :notworthy: :occasion14:
Your lucky there is any detail on it considering how dirt and pewter dont mix well

First thing I thought when I saw it was that the Contienantal 1776 dollars there were also pewter types.
Makes ya wonder the risky business of making bogus coins back then meant most likely capture then straight to the hangmans noose.

I noticed you meantioned the site was finished , nay nay , I'd pound it a few more times. Get those faint little squeakers and fringe targets :thumbsup:

Congrats on a stellar find :headbang:

Derek :icon_study: :thumbsup:
Thanks Derek. I also think it belongs on banner but I have been previously informed that pics hosted on Photobucket or any other similar sites arent considered. Oh well I can live with that. Doesn't matter to me in the slightest.
Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back