2 Escudos

stupot

Jun 21, 2008
I found this Cob 28 years ago with a Whites PI here in England at the site of an old harbor. There were many 17/18th century items including a couple of smaller silver cobs.

I know its a Bogota issue, think its Pedro Ramos moneyer. Could anyone please confirm any dating and details you might have to help. Out of every coin I've found, this is my best. I have been interested in wrecks since I was small, a 1715 fleet classic from England.

Hope someone might shed more light on this buttery yellow beauty!

Attachments

• cob1.JPG
    cob1.JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 123
  • cob2.JPG
    cob2.JPG
    305.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 2escudos.jpg
    2escudos.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So nice...been looking for one for awhile now....been a great search but no escudos yet !! Congrats sir !!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm not familiar with the name of the assayer you mentioned, though I am familiar with the name Pedro Ramos who was the assayer at the Santa Fe de Bogota mint during the period 1642-1676 when the shield type cobs were minted.
If the mint mark is NR, then Bogota is the mint. In any event, a coin from Bogota is relatively rare; congrats on your find
Don.....

OP
OP
S

stupot

Jun 21, 2008
I'm not familiar with the name of the assayer you mentioned, though I am familiar with the name Pedro Ramos who was the assayer at the Santa Fe de Bogota mint during the period 1642-1676 when the shield type cobs were minted.
If the mint mark is NR, then Bogota is the mint. In any event, a coin from Bogota is relatively rare; congrats on your find
Don.....
I can see NR letters above one another on the right of shield. There's a II and R below on left. Is the R for Ramos? Can see a letter S below shield. Any dating info would be appreciated. Many Thanks

Last edited:

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Its from the late 1640's or early 1650's. This has a similar die to the Nuevo Reino 2 escudo cobs found in a hoard in South America. Sedwick had a few of them for sale about 5 to 8 years ago. It doesn't fall into any seizure or fight time period, but gold "Pistoles" had an exchange rate in London, and were used along with other coins.

OP
OP
S

stupot

Jun 21, 2008
Its from the late 1640's or early 1650's. This has a similar die to the Nuevo Reino 2 escudo cobs found in a hoard in South America. Sedwick had a few of them for sale about 5 to 8 years ago. It doesn't fall into any seizure or fight time period, but gold "Pistoles" had an exchange rate in London, and were used along with other coins.
That's helpful thanks. I wanted to tie the date down. I read about that hoard, what a story! We find a number of brass coin weights for foreign gold coins. There were many such coins circulating in England at the time. Thanks again

OP
OP
S

stupot

Jun 21, 2008

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread