2 flat buttons... But how old?

diabolicalbeans

Oct 30, 2020
W. Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found what I believe is a very old homestead in the woods, I spent HOURS there carefully searching with these 2 buttons being the only result. If anyone could tell me more about them that would be awesome. The larger says "EXTRA STEONG GILT"

20230421_193432.jpg
20230421_193444.jpg

Upvote 13

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
I think these are earlier than 1880s. My experience suggests first quarter of the 19th century. They are likely British, which were the main buttons used in Eastern North American in those times. But there may be someone more knowledgeable who will be more confident in dating them. Good finds.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little button history for you.

Gilt buttons became fashionable in Britain in the mid-to-late 1790s, with the gilding achieved using a closely-guarded process that coated then with an amalgam of mercury and gold (electro-plating didn’t appear until the 1840s). The term ‘gilt’ was sometimes misleadingly used to describe a golden-colour finish with little or no actual gold used, often so poor that the colour would disappear within a few weeks of wear. Some of the gold-coloured lacquers used would also fade when exposed to sunlight.

These malpractices led to legislation in Britain in 1796 to inhibit the less ethical makers, with the approved minimum amount of gold for a button to be called “gilt” being set at 1/96th of an ounce per gross of 1 inch buttons. The terms “double gilt” and “treble/triple gilt” were designated to apply to consequent multiples of that amount for superior finishes. Manufacturers took to using terms such as “rich”, “extra-rich”, “extra-fine”, “extra-strong” (like yours) and also “orange” to circumvent the legislation and/or promote the quality of their buttons (with varying degrees of honesty).

Indented backmarks (like yours) began appearing around 1810 and the previously-used raised backmarks aren’t usually seen after about 1840. During the early 1800s the process details for gilding ‘leaked’ to American producers. Unless a maker name or other identification details are part of the backmark, it isn’t usually possible to distinguish American buttons from British ones, except when the word “colour” appears with its British spelling.

In 1806 France had prohibited all neutral trade with Britain, prompting Britain to ban trade between France, her allies, and the Americas in 1807. US Congress then passed a retaliatory embargo act that same year, prohibiting US vessels from trading with European nations and, later, the Non-Intercourse Acts, aimed solely at France and Britain. These proved ineffective and the US reopened trade with France and Britain provided they ceased their blockades against neutral trading. Buttons were big business for Britain and the loss of exports to America had a significant economic impact. From 1808 onwards, almost nothing went to America, apart from a short period during 1810… and then we had the war of 1812.

Between about 1810-1813, British makers carried on producing buttons for export at close to their usual output rates, initially hoping for a resumption of normal trade, and then hoping for a short war. The accumulated stockpile of buttons was ultimately dumped on the New York auction market in 1816 and successful bidders then distributed them throughout America. It was openly stated (hopefully) in Parliament that the dumping might “strangle American industry [button manufacture] in its cradle”. Many of those buttons (and subsequent production after the war ended) intentionally had no backmark which would identify them as British, to avoid them being rejected by those with anti-British sentiments. Subsequent British buttons produced for export to America in the years following the end of the war sometimes have an eagle backmark, intended to increase their acceptance in the American market.

Last edited:

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread