2 Guns and a heavy @$$ ball

IDigVirginia

May 5, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F4, Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I found this old house location about 30 yards up the side of a mountain here in Southwest Virginia. Not only did I have to suffer through the overwhelming excitement of finding a gun only to realize it was a toy, but I had to do it twice! I also recovered this HEAVY ball (I posted about the ball a while back and just go around to going back to carry it out of there) probably about 30-40lbs, as well as what I believe to be a fireplace grate of some kind. Also some sort of ring. There was an old stagecoach that traveled right through the area I was searching and I'm hoping to start hitting it hard now that the weather has turned. Good luck out there everyone. Any help identifying the purpose of this ball would be appreciated. It may have been for some sort of counter weight, or it may have been repurposed for that. Also found what appears to be a handmade chain. Happy digging. unspecified-1.jpeg unspecified-2.jpeg unspecified-3.jpeg unspecified-4.jpeg unspecified.jpeg

Upvote 8

OldSean

Jan 6, 2012
York, PA
Detector(s) used
White M6, White 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ball looks like a gate weight. They were used to automatically pull gates shut using a pulley and chain.

OP
OP
I

IDigVirginia

May 5, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F4, Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. Thats what I figured, just in an odd location on the side of a mountain. No place for a gate or fence up there!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That fireplace grate is actually a part of a furnace or a wood burning stove. I have seen it before and I think it is to a furnace but don't exactly remember

Interesting finds

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old ball n chain!! Looks like some poor suckers wife didn't trust him and clapped that on him when she rode to town...lol...but nice finds, those stagecoach roads would have me very excited...thx..Ddf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread