2 hours and 3 clad pennies richer

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Took the day off yesterday and got in two hours of detecting. Was using my new detector (Ace 250) and wanted to hit the huge field next to my house. I first went along the tree line /borderline between my property and the field and the detector was beeping at me a few times. The only problem was that I was digging up old asphalt chunks and I mean a lot of them! According to the people who live around my area they said that the field use to have handball courts and their is a batting cage in the field also. I did not find anything in these holes except the asphalt.
Does asphalt contain various metals that would make the detector sound off?

After my trials going that way, I decided to switch gears and detect on the other side of the treeline that runs down my street. I detected right along the street on the street side of the trees a couple of weeks ago and that produced my first Merc dime and a lucky coin and various dimes and pennies. This time I went down the street on the other side of the trees. Still filled my bag up with various cans and junk but only produced 3 newer pennies.
Maybe I just have to get used to the Ace because I was having a little trouble pinpointing. I was able to extract what the detector was picking up but it seemed I had to expand my holes to find the items. When I was in pinpointing mode I started to dig where the signal was the greatest and it was telling me about 2 inches down. When I dug at that location I always had to make the diameter of the hole bigger to find the item. Most times this was a crushed can but it happened on a penny also.
Just was a little frustrating because I was all excited about using this new detector and it was a little cumbersome to get the feel of it. I was almost tempted to go back home and get out my Radio Shack/Bounty Hunter 2200 and go with that. Can't imagine that would be better than the Ace. I think what I really have to do, but we newbies almost never do, is make a little detecting garden and either bury a few coins or just lay them on the ground and practice pinpointing. This way I can find out where the detector's hot spot is and be better at digger smaller diameter holes. I should also bury the various junk (especially crushed cans) and see how the detectors pinpointing function handles it. I assume the smaller the object the smaller amount of time the pinpointer signal would be at its greatest. I know that last statement was a little confusing but some of you might understand what I mean.

Anyway, like all you seasoned veterans tell us greenhorns....practice with the detector and the better you will get. You know how us newbies are...get it out of the box, power it up and start digging those signals.

Thanks for listening/reading my beach session. (didn't want to type the REAL word)

Funkman
p.s after all that beaching, I forgot to mention I did find something that is a little strange. Looks like some sort of blade but it is bent. I took pics but forgot the media card reader so will post tomorrow afternoon in "what is it" section.

Upvote 0

bobthedetector

Greenie
Aug 4, 2005
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Or if you are lazy (like me), take both out and test them side by side (so to speak) and see how the old translates to the new. Just don't let them get close to each other while they are both on or you will get goofy results.

Bob

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Hi Funkman,

I completely understand your fustration with pinpointing with the Ace 250. As I said before I had the same problem when I first started using it,and I felt like packing it up and selling it on ebay. LOL But I kept at it and I'm much better now. That's not to say that I still don't have problems time to time finding a target. It took me about a half hour to search for these threads on the Ace 250 from last year. After I read them, it helped me a great deal and I hope it helps you as well. As for the asphalt, there may be wire in it but I don't detect asphalt. I would just leave that alone. I have been detecting in coin mode with sensitivity at 4 bars,and I just started detecting in jewelry mode with the same sensitivity setting(4 bars) when I detect woodchips. This seems to work very well for me.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,8152.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,9351.0.html

As I said I think the hot spot on my detector is on the right of the center. But try what KevFl suggests and see if it helps. After you try it, let us know if it helped you.A lot of TNET members have provided me with help,and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Good luck and don't give up! ;)

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
thanks for the replies everyone. I took the detector in the backyard lats night and threw a couple of coins on the ground to practice pinpointing. I tried to determine where the target was when pinpointing and I am getting better at it. After trying it out a bit I started detecting the yard to see what I may have missed and sure enough it detected a quarter at about 2 inches. I do remember a tip about pinpointing, and Pennyworth you may have given me the link to it but I have not checked them yet. Anyway the tip was that when you pinpointed from side to side and get the strongest signal, stop there and then start bringing the detector slowly towards you. When the signal drops off drastically, the target should be directly under the front center of the inner coil. Here is the link for this tip:

http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/cgi-bin/garrett/garrett_config.pl?noframes;read=25277

I tried this tip on the quarter and was able to find it and not dig a gopher hole. I started detecting again and got another target. Had to try to pinpoint a bit with this one and couldn't find it but did finally see that it was right on the surface the whole time. Was right at the edge of the hole I dug so I must have pinpointed pretty good.

Anyhow thanks again for the replies. I'm sure I will get better at it after some practice and extended usage.

Funkman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread