Relics From 100+ Year Old Lumber Camp Still Steaming From The Ground!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: Relics From 100+ Lumber Camp Still Steaming From The Ground!

Bottom pic of the Sadiron, get some of the rust off and there will be a name stamped in it....looks like a plow blade in the other....Cool finds!

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL

Love the relics! Thanks for sharing them with us.

vicki

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I'm sure there's more to come there. You found many old coins there yet? I hunted an old mining camp in Virginia once and got some outstanding finds, including a six-foot long cross-cut saw (intact--and boy was that a pain to hike the two miles back to my car! Hahaha). I also found a Seated Half (1853)and Seated Half Dime (1854) about 3 feet apart, then went on to find a Morgan Dollar and a Barber Half both in the same hole near a boiler from the 1920's. I'm glad you're digging the iron. Sometimes previously I had let such "large" (usually ferrous) targets go (in the absence of a meter...fellow 1266 owners will understand...). Anyhow, the two large silver coins made my 1266-X go crazy that day similar to a large piece of iron I remember, and to this day I always dig such targets! (always re-check my holes too!) Good luck and keep 'em comin!

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
BuckleBoy said:
Nice finds! I'm sure there's more to come there. You found many old coins there yet? I hunted an old mining camp in Virginia once and got some outstanding finds, including a six-foot long cross-cut saw (intact--and boy was that a pain to hike the two miles back to my car! Hahaha). I also found a Seated Half (1853)and Seated Half Dime (1854) about 3 feet apart, then went on to find a Morgan Dollar and a Barber Half both in the same hole near a boiler from the 1920's. I'm glad you're digging the iron. Sometimes previously I had let such "large" (usually ferrous) targets go (in the absence of a meter...fellow 1266 owners will understand...). Anyhow, the two large silver coins made my 1266-X go crazy that day similar to a large piece of iron I remember, and to this day I always dig such targets! (always re-check my holes too!) Good luck and keep 'em comin!

No coins yet but I've only had time to put about 4 hours total into it. The site covers some 40 acres of land so we're talking a big hunt here. This was a very large lumbering camp for the region. You're right, there will be some great things found here. I do expect coins and jewelry once I find the house site.

At this point I've only been hunting the place where the barn stood. Thus all the tools and horseshoes, etc.

But, like I wrote above, they also had a large lumberjack house here someplace. The odd thing is there's no trace of any foundation.

An old timer told me about this place but he was just telling me what he had been taught as a child. All of this was gone long before his time.

This is what I'm gathering so far. The farm was built about mid 1800's and in about the 1870's it was purchased by the lumbering company and converted into a lumbering camp. It was used for this purpose until about 1910. Then in about 1930 all buildings were taken down. This is probably pretty close to fact. I'll do research this winter to see what I can find. I'm searching for original photos at this time.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Badger, it could very much be the same thing I have here at a logging company building site. I can't go out at it any more because it is on private property now, but I never could find a foundation.

I've spoke with several old timers, and they told me they think the foundation bricks were taken away and used for another building in the area. One gentleman told me that they were not cemented together, and the rest of the building was log, so when it caught on fire, nothing was left but a square pile of bricks, which got picked up and used.

Of course, yours could have been log all the way down to the ground, so if thats the case, chances are you might find a slight indentation in the ground, but no true foundation I would assume.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds Badger!!

And how's your hearing? :D Bet those were some really big beeps!

Congrats on your finds!

Nana ;)

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
cryptodave said:
Badger, it could very much be the same thing I have here at a logging company building site. I can't go out at it any more because it is on private property now, but I never could find a foundation.

I've spoke with several old timers, and they told me they think the foundation bricks were taken away and used for another building in the area. One gentleman told me that they were not cemented together, and the rest of the building was log, so when it caught on fire, nothing was left but a square pile of bricks, which got picked up and used.

Of course, yours could have been log all the way down to the ground, so if thats the case, chances are you might find a slight indentation in the ground, but no true foundation I would assume.

Thanks much! Good information.

I think you're right about them taking the bricks. In fact the only reason I knew I had found the barn was I found one small timber. We don't have termites in northern Michigan so wood lasts a long time above and under ground.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Nana40 said:
Neat finds Badger!!

And how's your hearing? :D Bet those were some really big beeps!

Congrats on your finds!

Nana ;)

Good to hear from you Nanas! I was hoping one of them sidewinder types didn't get ya while hunting that CW site.

Ya, one good thing about big iron relics is you get a nice definite signal ;D

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Great relics!!! I love it when i find an old relic lost from long ago. Its also find to find out there history too. Great finds, HH.

-CC

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

gypsyheart said:
Bottom pic of the Sadiron, get some of the rust off and there will be a name stamped in it....looks like a plow blade in the other....Cool finds!

Thanks gypsy! I believe you're right about the sadiron. Too bad I didn't find the handle.

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
BADGER, See What You Can Find When You Dig Those Iron Targets ? Very Nice Haul On The Lumber Camp Relics, Now Go See If You Can Find The Company Safe. Best Of Luck & Good Hunting. trk5capt. ;D :o ::)

A

Angela (Australia)

Nice photos Badger. Your relics are very similar to ones I've found here. I've got a front yard full of old shovels, axe heads, irons, etc. Well done! :)

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
Nice relics congrats.Them irons make great door holders.

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 347
OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Angela (Australia) said:
Nice photos Badger. Your relics are very similar to ones I've found here. I've got a front yard full of old shovels, axe heads, irons, etc. Well done! :)

Very interesting Angela! I never thought of Australia as having these things. I guess my HollyWood view of Australia is all wrong ;D

Thanks

Badger/Zeb

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread