2 small bullets in same hole, any idea age, type?

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found these this afternoon in the woods near an early 1800's foundation in PA, both were in same hole. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496541326.635826.jpg
Only other find was a crusty wheat. Are these bullets modern or old? Not many modern items in this property, but some signs of hunters, so not sure if these were fired 15 yrs ago or 150. Thanks for any ID help.

Older than 15 years because of the nice white oxidation on the lead but not quite 150 years.....that style of bullet was first produced in the late 1870's if I remember correctly

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I will quote The CannonballGuy from a recent post he made here...

"your photo shows the bullet's body-grooves ("rings") have multiple tiny parallel lines inside the groove, which is known as a "reeded groove" or "knurled cannelure" -- which did not exist until 1877, and is still being manufactured today."

The CannonballGuy is THE expert (in my opinion) when it comes to such things and I hope he does not mind I quoted him here.

Sorry I cannot provide any further insight.

Respectfully,

Batch

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No problem with quoting what I wrote in another What Is It? forum post. You're welcome to do it anytime it helps give a correct relic-ID to somebody who needs the info. You saved me the effort of typing a repetition here for pa-dirt_nc-sand. :)

By the way, his bullets appear to be the same version of .32-caliber pistol bullet shown in the photo I included at the T-Net link you posted.

Thank you for the praise. I do try to be worthy of it. I'm pleased to be helpful to my fellow detectorist diggers with relic-ID. It's payback for all the free relic-ID help I was given when I was knew to this hobby, 40-something years ago.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back