What's new

2 Tailed Kennedy

Bjorn_MD

Full Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2003
Messages
236
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT
Not sure how common these are found. But got one with two tails... No appearance of any tampering but it's makes a different noise when dropped on the table.

The coin's obverse/reverse seem to be aligned perfectly as well. I figured a trick coin would be made more haphazardly.

See many of these?
 
Upvote 0
Years ago I found a two-tailed quarter and after much checking found out that it is impossible for the mint to produce an error coin that has either two heads or two tails. The fact that the coin "sounds different" is the key that you have an altered (not by the mint) coin, albeit perhaps a well-done fake.

Jim
 
More than likely what you have is one of those Magician coins. The "different sound" is because it has been hollowed out.

Throw it on a hard surface on its edge and it should pop open. They are fun to find.....a novelty.
 
I have never found one of those.

Good Luck
Cat
 
in all of my C R H ing i have only found 1/2 of the magic coin and its holled out....go figure...
 
I have a 2 headed '64 Kennedy I found sometime last year- has that nice hollowed out thud to it just like a majic coin. HH Mark
 
After 3 years and 2.3 million halves I've gotten (2) double tails and (1) double headed Half and well over 40 magic coins. I would imagine the 2 tailed or headed coins could be found in a magic shop.

Mojo
 
Look carefully on the inside of the rim and you will see where it was hollowed out. No real US coin has ever been found with two heads or tails.
 
legacypac said:
Look carefully on the inside of the rim and you will see where it was hollowed out. No real US coin has ever been found with two heads or tails.

It would actually be 2 coins machined flat to remove either the heads or tails and than glued together.

Mojo
 
I believe Mojo is correct... as this coin does not appear to be hollowed out. Must be one of those coins as seen in that ebay link. I understand that it couldn't be an error coin.

Still made me happy to find it. A curiousity at least. If it was a two-headed coin, I'd probably have missed it, as I normally only inspect the side with the date to a significant degree.

So two machine flattened Kennedy halves glued together... seems like it should go for at least a dollar. That ebay link was interesting, they had 2-headed 1964 Kennedies for sell as well.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom