20 bottles found a while back...need help with ID, date etc?

Ghondi

Jun 26, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
So, during the summer when MDing a site I thought would be good*wasn't to bad, actually* I came across a bottle dump...most, and I do mean most of hundreds of bottles were smashed beyond recognition...
I did manage to grab these 20 before it was to dark to see...
Any chance some of you might be able to help me find their dates, names, makers, and what they are worth, and any other information that may be helpful?
If you need closer or larger photos to help, lemme know, I'll snap some more. Just lemme know what numbers.
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_4322.JPG
    IMG_4322.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_4323.JPG
    IMG_4323.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_4325.JPG
    IMG_4325.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_4327.JPG
    IMG_4327.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_4330.JPG
    IMG_4330.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_4332.JPG
    IMG_4332.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 367

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Ghondi said:
So, during the summer when MDing a site I thought would be good*wasn't to bad, actually* I came across a bottle dump...most, and I do mean most of hundreds of bottles were smashed beyond recognition...
I did manage to grab these 20 before it was to dark to see...
Any chance some of you might be able to help me find their dates, names, makers, and what they are worth, and any other information that may be helpful?
If you need closer or larger photos to help, lemme know, I'll snap some more. Just lemme know what numbers.
Thank you.
Good job with the images!

These bottles are not old enough to have any collector value beyond the value to you as mementos of your day in the field.

That said, #2 is a glass fuse which was commonly used before re-settable circuit breakers were invented.

#5 & #6 appear to be the bottles that were used for maraschino cherries.

#14 appears to be a bottle used for olives or capers.

#19 is a salt or pepper shaker.

Keep digging, the older bottles may be buried beneath these recent bottles.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the ones that I remembver from my mom's refrig and medicine cabinet. "Riker" bottle some kind of dental product. #4 Mentholatum rub,#9 and #12 vinegar, #11 horseradish,and #17 cough medicine. I remember seeing some of the others but don't remember what was in them? Monty

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Ghondi,
if I was you.............. ;D ................. :wink:
Sorry, let me start over. ;D

Ghondi,
may be a good idea to go back to that location
and dig down a bit.

Ofter newer dumps are on top of old dumps.

If your out that way give it a try; Im talking
shovel digging not just a small digger...............

have a good un.....
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
Ghondi

Ghondi

Jun 26, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Thank you all.
I didn't think they have much value except sentimental as they were my first bottle finds...

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS I will try to get out there when the weather clears up...I hope you are right about the older dumps being by newer ones...
I know these were left by a single person...actually, its an odd story...

Anyone have any ideas of what years these would have been from?
I'm trying to piece together the story...and a date range would be awesome.

So far I know these were dumped by a crazy hippie who was a crazy hippie..literally, he lived on a school bus in the middle of the woods by no one...
I was only out there because I wanted to see the bus...its there, lol. I happened to bring my detector the second time, and some bags so I could carry the bottles..as the first time me and a buddy just went for a walk through the woods to see this bus...then when we were out there I realized it was close to an older road...before cars...horse and buggy type of stuff...*found one old square nail while detecting for 25 minutes...until it got to dark..as its dep into the woods*, and whilst getting dark I decide to search through the bottles we had seen on the previous trip out there...and this is what I got...
Next time I will be going much earlier and I'll dig for more bottles and MD a lot more...
So about the dating thing, any ideas like 50's-60's-70's? I kind want to verify they are the crazy hippies and whatnot.

PS. The crazy hippie died in the 80s I believe.

Again, thank you all for your help.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL - My parents & I both have #19 it is a salt or pepper shaker. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions