$20 Omega...just amazing

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, another store visit and at the top of the jar was this Omega Speedmaster Professional! It needs some work but I was just telling my kids that it would be crazy to find another Omega watch. I need this luck to transfer to a winning Powerball ticket!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506356422.929249.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506356434.562287.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506356445.982431.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Just looked up the bracelet/band. It's a 1039 No. 13 dated March 1967. They sell for over $1000...just shocked and amazed.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job. Not that I understand anything you said, but you seem happy, so I'm happy for you.

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly Amazing find. Congrats. I can only imagine how pumped up you must be

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just looked up the bracelet/band. It's a 1039 No. 13 dated March 1967. They sell for over $1000...just shocked and amazed.

I hate you. Just kidding, but I am pretty darn jealous.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great find, definitely worth a lot more than you paid as it sits but beware of what "just needs some work" actually means in real dollar terms when you're repairing a 40+ year old chronometer.

Unless you're related to a watchmaker, it ain't cheap and in many cases, is economically prohibitive given the resale value of the watch once repaired.

Still, a no-brainer pluck at that price. The bracelet is worth many times that.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am past hating you now. I am just plain crying! Incredible. Please take my advice and not reference the place you got it. You are going to ruin it for yourself if someone from the organization reads it. Service on the watch is going to start around $500 and go up from there depending upon parts. The bracelet will probably need some work too because it looks like it's quite stretched out. Killer find in spite of these issues!

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I just went to the ts in hopes of finding any kind of good vintage watches. Haven't seen in a long time now and your raking it in.

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I am passed hating you now. I am just plain crying! Incredible. Please take my advice and not reference the place you got it. You are going to ruin it for yourself if someone from the organization reads it. Service on the watch is going to start around $500 and go up from there depending upon parts. The bracelet will probably need some work too because it looks like it's quite stretched out. Killer find in spite of these issues!

Thanks! My wife agrees that initials are just as bad...so i found it at a "store". I am trying NOT to collect things because everything I have purchased seems to come from folks who collected stuff and then their family just dropped it off at donation centers. I try to have a selling price for EVERYTHING I own...so I'm not so attached. And based on the prohibitive cost of servicing this watch, I'll be listing it and the bracelet in separate .99 cent actions on eBay.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow..... the speedmaster is my grail watch. So lucky!!!! But I haven't seen anyone say it yet but isn't it missing the entire bezel piece?? You can buy a replacement but the collectors for these are going to want the original one. IMO best bet is to post it here https://omegaforums.net/ Needs a lot of work but one thing to remember if you have it worked on NO POLISHING!! The patina is desirable.

Last edited:

Nashvegas

Aug 9, 2017
Nashville TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705
Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Speedmaster is a classic, beautiful watch. Great find. You definitely need the bezel. Reminds me of when I first started collecting watches 30 years ago and found a working Patek Phillips at a thrift store for $25. Sold it (stupidly) the next day for $1000.

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm now torn between selling my other Omega(s) to fund this one. Or just sell it in parts for profit. It is a pretty good size for me and after finding a Geneve, a Constellation, a Seamaster, and now a Speedmaster...I just can't imagine I would come across another watch as great as this. It's a 105.012-66 321

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm now torn between selling my other Omega(s) to fund this one. Or just sell it in parts for profit. It is a pretty good size for me and after finding a Geneve, a Constellation, a Seamaster, and now a Speedmaster...I just can't imagine I would come across another watch as great as this. It's a 105.012-66 321

A 1967 Speedmaster and you're torn???

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id pour whatevee i had into this watch. In good working order easily $1500+ would hate to get rid of the other omegas though. Sell something else haha!

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, just picked up a ladies Baume & Mercier Hamilton watch ($9.99 bag of watches) which reminds me I have a men's Baume & Mercier, a couple of Raymond Weils, a Gucci gold plated men's, and several other watches that I can sell instead! Plus the hundreds of other items I need to sell!
*Bought a gold electroplated ladies Omega in a $10 jar yesterday.
I called a local high end jeweler to check Omega service prices...$800. I'm thinking of taking in a bunch of watches(not the Omegas) for trade and get the price down. At minimum, this thing will need the bracelet serviced as well as a new and correct bezel, a new pusher, and new crystal. And gasket as well. But investing $1000 could turn this watch into an $7000+ watch.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506603155.349755.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506603168.218368.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506603182.470111.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506603200.112069.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506603218.858304.jpg
I'll be posting it on the Omega forum and getting their advice. There are other well regarded places for Omega services.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Spartcom5. The folks on the Omegaforum were very helpful. As you guys said...keep it and invest whatever into restoration. It's looking like it will be about $2K for a simple restoration with a service bezel. The correct bezel for this watch is currently selling for $1500 for rough condition up to almost $5000 for mint condition. They say the bezels are commanding crazy money now! So I will be selling a lot more of my accumulated crap in order to fund this resto... Thanks everyone for the input!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread