Darkknight

Sep 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, if you're reading this you might be able to help me, and for even trying I thank you. This story started around 20 years ago when I was still a boy. My family and I were taking a "vacation" which was basically just a stay with relatives in different cities for a few days a year. It was on one of these fateful trips to either Niagara falls or Washington D.C. that I found this object on the sidewalk, or on a lamppost I'm fuzzy on that detail. I wasnt sure what it could be but I was young and full of creativity so I was moved to keep this strange object I'd found. I was curious as to what it was but being a boy I was quickly distracted by other things and forgot about the mystery. Fast forward 20 years and 3 different moves and everytime I pack up or get rid of things I would always find the object again. Almost waiting for its identity to be found and this mystery that has followed me most of my life solved. Now that I am a man and it once again resurfaced, and this time, I think I'll try and find its answer. It is aprox. 4cm wide and appears to be some sort of bronze or copper I'm not familiar with metal corrosion. Best guess is some sort of coin or medallion. Anything you can uncover would be most appreciated.

Attachments

• 15990686322513172737150394321465.jpg
    15990686322513172737150394321465.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 136
  • 15990686966594319929972725047083.jpg
    15990686966594319929972725047083.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 145
  • 15990687516402395116175913720896.jpg
    15990687516402395116175913720896.jpg
    772.4 KB · Views: 91

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um.... Don........

You nailed it.

Thats exactly what it is.

Bah ! all humble with "reminds me of".

:P

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also... I love this crapola on Amazon that I am starting to see more and more of... (PER your link provided Don)

*** " Greek Mythology Athena Goddess of Wisdom Chariot (biga) Coin 84G " ***

Um... how much more WRONG could this title be.

And confusing ta boot.

Athena was the goddess of war...the female counterpart of Ares... NOT TO MENTION... She was the daughter of Zeus... heh

I mean sheesh... wth is the person who wrote that title thinking.

Upvote 0

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Also... I love this crapola on Amazon that I am starting to see more and more of... (PER your link provided Don)

*** " Greek Mythology Athena Goddess of Wisdom Chariot (biga) Coin 84G " ***

Um... how much more WRONG could this title be.

And confusing ta boot.

Athena was the goddess of war...the female counterpart of Ares... NOT TO MENTION... She was the daughter of Zeus... heh

I mean sheesh... wth is the person who wrote that title thinking.

With those striations on the side, it is REALLY crudely ground on a powered bench grinder.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good ID, but Athena was the Greek goddess of wisdom... along with handicraft, and warfare.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Athena, also referred to as Athene, is a very important goddess of many things. She is goddess of wisdom, courage, inspiration, civilization, law and justice, strategic warfare, mathematics, strength, strategy, the arts, crafts, and skill.

She is known most specifically for her strategic skill in warfare and is often portrayed as companion of heroes and is the patron goddess of heroic endeavour.

Athena was born from Zeus after he experienced an enormous headache and she sprang fully grown and in armour from his forehead. She has no mother but one of the most commonly cited stories is that Zeus lay with Metis, the goddess of crafty thought and wisdom, and then swallowed her whole as he feared she will give birth to a child more powerful than him because of a prophecy – but she had already conceived.

Facts about Athena
•Athena was the Goddess of War, the female counterpart of Ares.
•She was the daughter of Zeus; no mother bore her. She sprang from Zeus’s head, full-grown and clothed in armor.
•She was Zeus’s favorite child.
•According to Homer’s account in the Iliad, Athena was a fierce and ruthless warrior. In the Odyssey, she was angry and unforgiving. In the course of the Trojan War, she struck Ajax with madness.
•Known for protecting civilized life, she was the Goddess of the City.
•According to some sources, Athena was praised for her compassion and generosity.
•Athena was a patron of the arts and crafts, especially when it came to spinning and weaving.
•In later poetry, Athena embodied wisdom and rational thought.
•Athena served as a guardian of Athens, where the Parthenon served as her temple.
•Zeus trusted her to wield the aegis and his thunderbolt.
•Her most important festival was the Panathenaea, which was celebrated annually at Athens.
•She is referred to in poetry as “gray-eyed.”
•The owl was her bird, and the olive tree was hers.
•She turned the weaver Arachne into a spider after the mortal woman insulted Athena and the Olympian gods.
•Athena reared Ericthonius, son of Hephaestus. He was half man, half serpent. Athena put the infant in a chest and gave it to others to watch over, forbidding them to open it. When they did, she drove them mad as punishment.
•She is one of three virgin goddesses; the other two were Hestia and Artemis.
•Athena invented the flute, but she never played it.
•Hermes and Athena went to the aid of Perseus in his quest to kill Medusa. Looking directly at Medusa would turn any man to stone, so Athena provided Perseus with her polished shield. Using it, he was able to see Medusa as if looking in a mirror. Again, Athena guided his hand as he cut off Medusa’s head with his sword.
•Hera and Athena fought against Paris in the Trojan War since he had awarded the Golden Apple to Aphrodite.
•The sacred image of Athena, a wood statue called the Palladium, protected the Trojans as long as they had it.
•Odysseus and Diomedes executed a plan to steal the image, greatly encouraging the Greeks in their hopes to end the long-suffering war.
•Athena helped Hercules when, as a part of his penance, he was required to drive away the Stymphalian birds. She got them moving, and Hercules shot them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good ID, but Athena was the Greek goddess of wisdom... along with handicraft, and warfare.

Correct !

But the TITLE... what a lame title for the item to be sold. was the point anyway.

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's either an ancient Greek copper coin or a necklace medallion with the loop missing.
Medusa was on the shield of Athena.

GG~

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To me, it almost too crude to be jewelry related? :icon_scratch:

Possibly some type of furniture hardware?

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking "vintage" costume jewelry pendant. Mimicking a Greek coin (trihemiobol?) 400 BC. The images are Athena and Helios.

greek coin athena.JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread