Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me too!!! ;D

I don't know what JD would had done without his 2 "Sugar Gals" helping him. ::)

;) RR

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
River Rat I couldnt have done without your guys help!! we all worked pretty good together!! I guess I got start taking names for the new list already!! :)

99Brown

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2006
Illinois
I am with Noodle and RR, sign me up now. Where do I send the money?

And 2 days would be cool, really cool, but I can't image two days just at the one spot. Maybe you could convince the neighbors across the roads to let us at there fields? I am sure it saw some activity and past metal detecting as well.

Also, Keith makes a good suggestion, maybe turn the soil, and see what we find? That is sure to bring some deep targets towards the top.

Glad you are thinking about doing it again. I am sure it was a lot of work on your end, and I appreciate it. :)

99Brown

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
daniel thought of this, one day hunt in the fields and then on the second day have a seeded hunt where we parked the cars this year...that sounds like a fun time to me... the good thing is that otterville is a nice laid back and secure spot... the neighbors hate metal detectorists and wont let us detect there... keep the suggestions coming though ... i cant think of another spot where we can accomodate so many people... but time will tell remember most people didnt even bother to detect the woods or back field where some nice stuff was found.. but a couple people... but im open to many suggestions!!! hehe boy it was fun :) jd

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hope I don't hurt someone's feelings, but we have a field like that at our place (32 acres). Ten years ago it was a cotton field. It takes a while to get a good solid field after it's turned, and then longer to get it back into good grasses. When the topsoil is disturbed, the weeds appear and the grasses struggle to regain ground. Also, when you "turn" a field, anything those blades hit will be cut/scarred/demolished. Besides, the disks only go so deep. The ground becomes very uneven and in some cases must be "rolled" to make it flat. If it's not flat, hay mowers will be cutting through dirt, not hay, and that really messes up the blades.

That field is in beautiful condition for a hay field/pasture, and "turning" it would almost be an insult to the intelligence of the owner (if I was the owner).

I know it sounds like it would make it easier, but not really. The good stuff is still below disc level, probably. Plus, have any of you ever tried walking on a newly-disked field before? It ain't easy! It's like walking in sand dunes. Wears you out quickly!

Just wanted to put in my thoughts at the start of this train of thought. Carry on...

Noodle

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
JD, that place we parked the cars ... was it occupied by troops also? Any particular reason why they didn't want us to hunt there, even without seeding it? Couldn't there be some good finds there?

I read somewhere that across the road (directly) from the driveway (Game Rd.), there used to be Union buildings which were occupied by the troops. Is that private land now? Or public? Have you ever played around over there?

There were so many areas I didn't get to hunt in the field. I did go down into one of the little treed gullys and that's where I found the copper plate (and the "petrified walnut shells," which turned out to be lead gum for the soldiers, which I tossed back into the hole). They're calling to me now.... I can hear them. "Come and get meeeee... Come and get meeeeee." :D

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally agree with Noodle on the plowed field thing. If you think it was tough walking up & down hills, try walking in plowed ground...break a foot or ankle. No fun!!

;) RR

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
noodle there was a blockhouse near the river, and a log hospital thats all i know of... there... the field where we parked the cars has nothing in it, 23 years ago they built the pond toward the bottom of the area and used all the dirt from that area to fill and make the dam... now if someone tried it with a water detector there may be finds there!! hehe

there is 4,000 acres of consevation land loaded with CW relics surrounding the site... there is no way to get permission to detect that land, metal detecting is forbidden there. :(

the property across the street is private owned they meet metal detectorists with guns... at least thats what i was told by Dave.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
You need to remember, things just don't sink that deep in most missouri soil. Turning might turn up a few items, but for the most part the smaller items hit the clay layer and stick there. This spot is also filled to the brim with rocks just a couple inches below the soil, so again they hang there until found. That property doesn't seem very conducive to having ever had crops in it with all the rocks and clay, so the ground has likely not been turned. It is more suitable for pasture land.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
j.d. in missouri said:
the property across the street is private owned they meet metal detectorists with guns... at least thats what i was told by Dave.

Hmmmmmmm, kinda makes ya wonder what they got buried out back there, now don't it? ;) Is their last name "Kettle" or "James?" :D Well, that sounds like the folks that live across Game Rd. from them. I was thinking across the highway (the highway into Otterville).

FOUR THOUSAND ACRES loaded and unreachable!? :'( 'Nough to make ya sick... :P

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
Hey JD....don't want to step on anybody's toes but I also agree that turning the field would not be a good idea. It has already been proven there are some great items there and as everybody says " its never hunted out." I can only imagine the items still there waiting for some lucky MD'er to swing across and you could put me on your list for next year.....if you have any spots left...lol. Thanks again.....HH, gregd573

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JD, Congrats for organizing what appears to have been a very successful hunt. And I commend all those who gave you help. And the landowners sound like wonderful people. I'm glad that things went so well for all of you. I just wish that I could have been there. It sounds like everyone had a great time. I hope to make it next year if the invite is still on. Thanks to you and all for sharing your experiences and finds with the rest of us who couldn't make it.

Huntin' 59er

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
A personal thanks JD. Enjoyed the hunt. even enjoyed helping set up the tents. It was a day I will always treasuer. Any more such hunts, please invite me. I could get hooked on hunting fields like that one. I spent most of my time that day on the farther away field, and loved it. Thanks again for setting this up, and rest assured that I will send a thank you card to the owners; I received their address this evening...HH

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
better idea instead of tilling
lease the field area to a sheep or goat farmer they will make quick work of the grass
it will look like a golf green 8)
also makethe land owners a few 100 bucks ;)

Keith (Indiana)

Jan 4, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
gregd573 said:
Hey JD....don't want to step on anybody's toes but I also agree that turning the field would not be a good idea. It has already been proven there are some great items there and as everybody says " its never hunted out." I can only imagine the items still there waiting for some lucky MD'er to swing across and you could put me on your list for next year.....if you have any spots left...lol. Thanks again.....HH, gregd573

Actually tilling is good for the soil. At least it is here in Indiana and Illinois.

Over the years on grazed land the soil becomes compacted and it makes it difficult for the grass roots to grow (weeds like it tho). I know that because I own a farm in Illinois with pasture ground where that is the case. We have tilled it several times in the past and plant grass seed there every few years to maintain it. It's about 15 acres and two pastures there support about 20 head of cattle. We move them from one pasture to the other when the grass gets too short.

Also it appeared to me that the field to the east of the barns was all heavy clay content and VERY hard to dig in. By contrast the the dirt in the woods was all nice loose soil and very easy to dig in. Did anyone else notice that? Is it possible the dirt from the pond excavation got put on top of the pasture at one time?

I think if the soil was tilled it would actually help the grass and pasture at that site. The owner told me that in the past they used to raise horses there but now the land would not support it. That is why. A little fertilizer, lime and a good plowing and discing will bring it back. In the process there will be many hundreds of relics moved around and away from iron that is masking them, making them easier to find. JD said there were gold coins found at this site in the past. I'll bet there are more still there that are either on edge or sitting next to iron or way deep...........If the owners don't have the farm equipment to to the work maybe some of us could volunteer to find a local farmer in their area who does and would be avaialable to do the job. If the cost is prohibitive I'll bet this group could find a way to get it done!

Just my 2 cents worth guys.

Baron's idea is a good one too if the ground can't be tilled. The grass was a little high.

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics.........!!! Again glad to see everyone had a great time!! Will make a big effort to get to the next one!!! HH

Hawkeye Jim

Jul 24, 2006
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher C$
Hey JD - had a GREAT time and you can count my wifey and me in on another go round - two days sounds like a hoot and maybe the ground will be more kind!!! Hawkeye Jim.

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
JD,

I'm so sorry I missed this :'(
I've already started begging and pleading with my old man for next years hunt!
( he's pretty damn easy, and I can be pretty pesty, so it's a DEFINATE maybe ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread