What's new

2012 collection additions

Mooch

Full Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2008
Messages
146
Reaction score
36
Golden Thread
0
I haven't posted on this board for a couple of years and this is the first time I've even looked at the site for over a year. I got all my kids to bed early tonight so I thought I would post all of my additions to the collection in 2012. I never found any of them but have history on most of them back to the finder. If you have any questions let me know. Thanks, Mooch
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20130124_123553.webp
    IMG_20130124_123553.webp
    70.8 KB · Views: 264
Upvote 0
Fluted axe found by Guy Webb in 1910 in Waupaca County, Wisconsin. It is 13 1/8 inches long. The axe with the red tag is from South East Missouri Near poplar bluff. The red dog is a effigy bannerstone from Scott Co, Missouri. Nothing was from the Stroud collection. There was several pieces there that I wanted but didn't get there in time. The flying bird is actually from near Franklin, Pa. was found in the 1920's by the Giles Thomas family. If you have any other questions just ask and I'll work on getting some pictures of a few other pieces in the near future. Any request. Mooch
 
Get-The-Point,

Let me correct you. The fluted axe is NOT a trophy axe and the bird pipe you mentioned is commonly distinguished as a Southern Great Pipe found 1,000 miles south of New York State where the Iroquois lived. A friendly heads up.

Lost lake.....now after Mooch confirmed my suspicions on the bird pipe it is in fact from my area and either Shawnee, Ohio Valley or Iroquois. NOT southern like you suggest. The axe at size and how elaborate would be considered trophy in my opinion.....
 
Last edited:
Well I am not perfect. It is made of the typical black steatite found and quarried out of the southern Appalachian Mtns. It was a trade Item manufactured near the source and traded north which as you know was a very common occurance. I know for a fact that source of material is not found north of the Mason Dixon line. Black slate-yes, black steatite-no. Mooch's pipe would still be considered a Southern Great Pipe found within the sphere of influence of the Adena.
 
Fluted axe found by Guy Webb in 1910 in Waupaca County, Wisconsin. It is 13 1/8 inches long. The axe with the red tag is from South East Missouri Near poplar bluff. The red dog is a effigy bannerstone from Scott Co, Missouri. Nothing was from the Stroud collection. There was several pieces there that I wanted but didn't get there in time. The flying bird is actually from near Franklin, Pa. was found in the 1920's by the Giles Thomas family. If you have any other questions just ask and I'll work on getting some pictures of a few other pieces in the near future. Any request. Mooch

You knew Stroud if I remember correctly ?
 
You knew Stroud if I remember correctly ?

Was Stroud a collector in Ohio and did he have one of the best Dovetail collections there. The reason I ask this is because I bought a 5" dovetail made of flint ridge from his son(if this is the guy) and sent it to Davis with the full write up and it came back not authentic.
Lostlake Steatite outcrops are found in Pa, NY, Maryland, Virginia and W. Virginia. You are right along the Appalachian mtns.
 
Was Stroud a collector in Ohio and did he have one of the best Dovetail collections there. The reason I ask this is because I bought a 5" dovetail made of flint ridge from his son(if this is the guy) and sent it to Davis with the full write up and it came back not authentic.
Lostlake Steatite outcrops are found in Pa, NY, Maryland, Virginia and W. Virginia. You are right along the Appalachian mtns.

Sorry, he was from Tn. Was a friend of mine.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom