What's new

PetCin88’s Maldives Rufiyaa Banknote Collection

PetCin88

Full Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2026
Messages
104
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
My Maldives 🇲🇻 Collection Website:
https://petercin.wixsite.com/maldivesrufiyaa

I started passionately collecting Maldives since 2012 but first discovered the colourful Rufiyaa banknotes / bills when I first travelled to Maldives in 2009 - I instantly felt captivated and still have these original ones I received from 2009 in my wallet.

I have desired to collect them but started being serious 2012 onwards - it started by me wanting to collect the current set at the time and then one day while conducting research I discovered there were older currency from 1947 to 1980 that were much larger in size and completely different in appearance compared to the ones I saw 2009.

I started with collecting all the known denominations and then all the issued years and then with earning more money I started buying Specimens and Proofs and rare items.

The 2010’s was an interesting decade for me collecting wise - in 2010 I was in my early days of collecting and nobody special and 10 years later I climbed the mountain and become one of the best Maldives collectors in the World and internationally known online.

With a mixture of luck and dedication and quite a lot of money I have achieved a lot and have many items people collecting 30 years don’t have - I am proud of all I have achieved.

Why do I just collect Maldives? Well because I love the country and I am very passionate about collecting - plus I have got 100% of everything that was issued and I am a person that once I start something I want to get 100% - other countries people can never get 100% because there are 1000’s of things to collect and you need unlimited money and ridiculous luck to achieve - plus I don’t have a passion to collect any other countries so that’s why I just collect Maldives - I now I have all of them from 1947 to 2025✌ï¸ÂÂ
 
Every Denomination Value

1/2 Rufiyaa
1 Rufiyaa
2 Rufiyaa
5 Rufiyaa
10 Rufiyaa
20 Rufiyaa
50 Rufiyaa
100 Rufiyaa
500 Rufiyaa
1000 Rufiyaa
5000 Rufiyaa

IMG_0250.jpeg
 
IMG_0520.jpeg



1947 1/2 Rufiyaa Consecutive Serial Numbers A761040 & A761041

The 1947 1/2 Rufiyaa is quite hard to obtain in high grade because rarely offered and expensive to purchase - but this is extra special because in 2013 when I purchased these it was possibly for the first time in maybe 65 Years since being printed by Bradbury Wilkinson these 2 notes were near each other

Owning 1 UNC 1/2 Rufiyaa is excellent / owning 2 UNC 1/2 Rufiyaa is amazing / owning 2 UNC 1/2 Rufiyaa that have consecutive serial numbers is unheard of (I must always highlight the fact they came from 2 different countries on 2 different continents)
 
Well done
How about posting some pictures up instead of all the video linked posts.
Read my mind:laughing7:
 
I also collect some Maldives stamps

First Day Cover - 24 December 1950

Translation:

"New stamp of Maldives
14 Rabeeul Awwal 1370 AH.

This stamp was released when the first set was handed over to the president of "valee committee" Sumuwwul Ameer Ibrahim Famuladheyri Kileygefaanu, by the stamp master general of Malé Al-ameer Mohamed Ameen."

IMG_6136.jpeg



Maldives 2015 10,000 Rufiyaa Revenue Stamp (my profile photo)

To Celebrate 50 Years of Independence - Maldives released a special Revenue Stamp in 2015.

I was lucky to be able to get Serial Number 1 - this 10,000 Rufiyaa stamp has a face value of approx US$650

IMG_0523.jpeg
 
Historical Locations of Rufiyaa
1 Rufiyaa

A two‐storeyed building, which was used for different purposes over the years. At the time the bank notes were prepared the building was the Customs House. It later became a Post Office and was last used as the Office of the Prime Minister. To the left of the building is the main bastion of the town wall. The bastion was called the ‘Bodu Koattey Buruzu’. There was a flagstaff on the Bodu Koattey which flew the State ensign if there was a foreign vessel in port. The bastion has since been torn down as part of the harbour redevelopment and the old Customs house has beendemolished, now being the site of Republic Park.

DCDB61D5-F131-4FA0-8204-FB9FA15EA226.jpeg



2 Rufiyaa

The Royal Jetty. This elaborately carved wooden construction was torn down as part of the harbour redevelopment.

CCCBF8BE-6CDF-4D54-894E-E5872472332D.jpeg



10 Rufiyaa

The Veyodorhu Ganduvaru Mathige was a three‐storeyed house that was adjacent to the Sultan’s Palace. Now demolished, the building was at one stage the Sifainge, or Defence Headquarters of the militia. The aspect of the illustration on the note is from the Aa-Koattey Buruzu (New Fort Bastion). To the left of the building is Medhumaa Gate, flanked by lamp- posts. To the left of the gate is the very low Kilege Buruzu (bastion) from which gun salutes were fired.

D8EF5AF2-0770-47CE-84D8-ABFEB7A35384.jpeg
 
The current Maldives Banknotes

5602180C-F9E2-4FE3-8548-5F1A3F7F6886.gif
 
A table showing all Maldives Banknote denominations from 1947 to 2025 and all known dates

IMG_5478.jpeg



A table showing signatures from 1947 to 2013


2a8980293afc67f5dcffaf829b73bcbd



Pick = The Pick number is a global system that was devised by Albert Pick to make identification of exact banknotes easier as shown in the Standard Catalog of World Paper Money. This system allows banknote collectors and dealers from all over the world to easily recognise exactly which note is being discussed, sold or traded. It is a universal system to understand a certain note that can cross any language barrier.
 
IMG_0841.webp

IMG_0842.webp


Maldives Currency Banknote, 1947 1/2 Rufiyaa, Pick catalogue 1
 
IMG_6206.webp


Maldives Currency Banknote, 1947 1 Rufiyaa, Pick catalogue 2A
 
IMG_6207.webp

Maldives Currency Banknote, 1947 2 Rufiyaa, Pick catalogue 3A
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom