2016 pottery finds

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found all these pieces last year. I am curious as to how all the impressions where made. The two that I singled out are the most interesting to me one looks almost like corn kernels and the other looks like fingernails. IMG_1872.JPG IMG_1873.JPG IMG_1874.JPG IMG_1875.JPG

Upvote 0

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think you are right about the fingernails

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2nd pic is not what I would call Tucker Ridge Pinched but is a great example of a fingernail punctate. I'm not familiar with the 1st pic but it could be a cord wrapped ware where they take cordage and wrap a wet pot to leave the imprint. Most cordage I've seen is small and thin, almost like a small string.

All the pieces are late Woodland.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I like to pick up pottery for the designs on it also. In my area they had a number of ways to make a design, cordage, paddle , finger nail and then just use some sort of tool and cut a design into the pot. Thanks for posting:icon_thumright:

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just sitting here and it hit me. I hate getting old. The piece of pottery I said may be some type of cord wrapped is called Deptford Linear Check Stamped. I only had one Deptford site back home so it's not my strongest culture. There weren't as many Deptford peoples in inland NW FL as there were in other places.

Here's a link. Save it as a reference.

https://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/ceramiclab/galleries/deptford/

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread