Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Pioneer 202 is a good basic detector. I see that WalMart has it on sale for $99, a great price for this $249 list price unit. The only detector that bests the 202 in the Legacy series is the 505.

Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 Metal Detector - Walmart.com

In dry sand, you should be fine just to turn it on, make sure you are in DISC mode, set the DISC knob at 10-12 o'clock, turn the sense knob as high as possible without falsing, and start swinging.

I wouldn't use AM mode, or notch or auto notch, unless the pull tabs are driving you nuts. Forget detecting in the wet sand or water, unless you turn the sense knob way down, thus only able to get an inch or so depth. FTP touts that the 202 has a GroundTrac feature. Don't be fooled, as it just means they preset the ground setting. It doesn't auto track. Same with the Tracker IV and other "GroundTrac" machines.

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What Phantasm said.

The 202 is a decent functional machine and it will find treasure. Just don't expect to find any really deep treasure.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 202 will go down 8-9" on a quarter in the dry soft sand, half my good finds are out in the dry sand towel line. The towel line is all i hit for over a year with great finds, just takes a bit more patience and good scoop to dig the trash out fast ! As Phantasman said the salty sand will net you a max depth of perhaps 5" on the same quarter with the sens having to be lowered to keep chatter down.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 202 will go down 8-9" on a quarter in the dry soft sand, half my good finds are out in the dry sand towel line. The towel line is all i hit for over a year with great finds, just takes a bit more patience and good scoop to dig the trash out fast ! As Phantasman said the salty sand will net you a max depth of perhaps 5" on the same quarter with the sens having to be lowered to keep chatter down.

Sometimes they will surprise you on depth. The deepest coin I dug with my 202 was a silver Rosey in red clay under damp sand. That coin was at least 8" down and that clay was hard as a rock. It took me a couple minutes to dig it out. I'll never forget it.

OTOH, I used it on a grassy field and did dig lots of targets. It was only after getting the Delta and going back over that same field that I realized how much I was missing. It was a HUGE number of targets; believe me, and many of those were deep coins; many of them sitting sideways. The 202 just didn't see them.

But overall, as I've always said, "muffler on a stick" BH machines are quite functional for what they are and what they're designed to do. They will find treasure.

Some of the higher end models are pretty darn good imo. I have an old Radio Shack Land Star clone that I got for 25 bucks that will hit fairly deep in AM mode. I don't use it anymore but one kid I take hunting from time to time really likes it.

The most important thing is enjoying the hunts regardless of what you're swinging...

Last edited:

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes they will surprise you on depth. The deepest coin I dug with my 202 was a silver Rosey in red clay under damp sand. that coin was at least 9" down and that clay was hard as a rock. it took me a couple minutes to dig it out. I'll never forget it.

OTOH, I used it on a grassy field and did dig lots of targets. it was only after getting the Delta and going back over that same field that i realized how much I was missing. It was a HUGE number of targets; believe me, and many of those were deep coins; many of them sitting sideways. the 202 just didn't see them.

But overall, as I've always said, "muffler on a stick" BH machines are quite functional for what they are and what they're designed to do. The will find treasure.

Some of the higher end models are pretty darn good imo. I have an old Radio Shack Land Star clone that I got for 25 bucks that will hit fairly deep in AM mode. I don't use it anymore but one kid I take hunting from time to time really likes it.

The most important thing is enjoying the hunts regardless of what you're swinging...

Agreed, my old workhorses i started with was a Bounty Hunter tracker 4 , then a slow but deep Time Ranger v4..compadre...many more. The old bounty hunters do very well in non trashy areas. The new fratbros units are a night and day difference. Its a great time to be an equipment junkie like me .:-)

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed, my old workhorses i started with was a Bounty Hunter tracker 4 , then a slow but deep Time Ranger v4..compadre...many more. The old bounty hunters do very well in non trashy areas. The new fratbros units are a night and day difference. Its a great time to be an equipment junkie like me .:-)

Yeah, I started out with the Tracker IV too. I thought it was a great machine because that's all I knew at the time.
I'll always be thankful that it came my way because it got me started in this hobby.

Next I moved up to the 202 and then ran across the Land Star clone for 25 bucks; which is still a steal imo.

But then the Delta came my way and that pretty much changed everything. That's when I became more serious about the hobby. I had no idea how much treasure I had been missing until I started swinging that Delta.

I still have all three of my BH machines. I'll probably end up giving the T4 to a kid I know who appears to be serious about this hobby. You just can't beat it for a stater machine.

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a 202 but a newbie friend has one and I was showing him some basics of operation. The 202 surprised me with the ability to notch out stay tabs but still detect nickels. I didn't test that under a variety of depths and ground conditions so I don't know if that accuracy would hold up, but that feature is nice.
That capability seems to be difficult for most of the numeric TID machines, the #s are almost identical for stay tabs and nickels ... with just a slight difference in sound characteristics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread