What's new

24 Civil War Buttons

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
6,690
Reaction score
716
Golden Thread
1
Location
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Greetings all,
Great weather lately here in New Hampshire :icon_sunny:
As you may know, I always keep my eyes open for out of place rock formations
on the flats of the tidal rivers.
In the past, some of these I've searched have been ballast piles from abandoned ships.
Had my eyes on this one for a while,
but put off searching it.
I got a good deep signal, dug a copper bracelet, a rescan of the hole indicated more targets, as I went deeper I encountered dense blue clay mixed with straw.
And buttons.
Eventually I moved stones and excavated a hole 4' X 2' and about 36" deep.
I made the large excavation after finding several buttons to avoid any damage to the remaining ones, understand that this was blind digging in a pit of muddy water.
End result was 19 'New Hampshire Volunteer Militia' buttons, (Tice NH 200A3)
and 1 General Service high convex, resembles Tice GS 226, is missing its back.
My first 'Muffin' :hello2:
All but 2 of the NH buttons have intact shanks, and I see no reason why the rest won't clean up as well as these, I picked a random button to start.
5 hours of aluminum jelly and toothpicks yield 2 clean buttons.
Thanks to Buckleboy for resto advise :notworthy:
I believe there are more items at this site, tides limit search time.
I will update this post with new finds, and more cleaned examples.
I'm including a NH Militia Officer photo.
Thanks for looking, and Great Digs to You all. ;D
 

Attachments

  • nc finds 03-09 001.webp
    nc finds 03-09 001.webp
    44.7 KB · Views: 5,039
  • nc finds 03-09 002.webp
    nc finds 03-09 002.webp
    47.7 KB · Views: 5,038
  • nc finds 03-09 004.webp
    nc finds 03-09 004.webp
    41.5 KB · Views: 4,849
  • nc finds 03-09 005.webp
    nc finds 03-09 005.webp
    30.2 KB · Views: 4,854
  • nc finds 03-09.webp
    nc finds 03-09.webp
    51.8 KB · Views: 4,797
  • NC FINDS 03-09009.webp
    NC FINDS 03-09009.webp
    15.4 KB · Views: 5,735
Upvote 4
Your Methodology / Research / 'M.O.' and these fantastic results are a great pleasure to read about.
You're "a credit to the Regiment", as Pop used to say, for having done this Historical Recovery!
OutSTANDing job!!
 
Those are some real nice finds :thumbsup:
What a score.Im still waiting for a cache to pop out of the ground one of these days..

This is why we do this :headbang:



Blaze
 
holy moly! sweet! :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom