What's new

$25 in silver halves!

halfdime

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
1,500
Golden Thread
0
Location
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
After years of dormancy, I've recently started asking for and ordering half dollars at local banks. When we were kids, the Thompson boys wore out local tellers asking for $50 or $100 in pennies at a time, bankrolled by my beloved father. I've had some pretty good days lately, meaning maybe seven half dollars with any silver. Through 1964, our silver coins were 90% silver; from 1965-70, only halves were silver and then only 40%. Most of what I've found lately is 40%. Yesterday, I went into a new bank and asked if they had any half dollars they could sell me. There were $312 in the vault, but their policy was that I had to have an account there to buy them. Odd, but policy is policy. I told them I'd be back today, and I was. I opened a checking account I don't need then purchased the $312.50 (actual total) and walked out hopefully. In the car, I started to open rolls, and about the third roll I heard the beautiful distinct sound of silver! Each roll is $10 and probably at least half this roll was silver. I opened the rest and was nearing the end of my 31 rolls and thought, "I hope they didn't put all the silver in one roll!" No sooner was that thought thought than I heard the beautiful sound of silver again! And again! By the end of this wonderful session, I had $25 face in silver! Two Franklin halves, nine 90% Kennedys and the rest 40%. And another bank just called to tell me that another order of halves has arrived. I hope all of your days are as pleasant as this one!
 

Attachments

  • kennedyhaul.webp
    kennedyhaul.webp
    95.1 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Upvote 29
Great post! Great CRH! Grats
 
Nice Hunting!
 
Great haul! I've never had a day quite like that! A solid silver roll once tho which was an amazing feeling
 
Nice find! Thats dedication. To open up an account just to be able to coin roll hunt. I applaud you ser!
 
great post and info shared thank you! just realized a few of the halves I have in my little safe are 40% silver. I knew I was keeping them for a reason :)
 
Sweet, CRHing has become a favorite of mine.I made a friend of a Merchant teller that got stuck by a customer ordered 3 boxes and never picked them up so I took them off his hands, He was like anytime I come by he'll save me customer wrapped and not my bank either.But I have ran into the not a member=no sale.
 
very nice finds
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom