What's new

2nd outing with the PI Dual.... Excal wont find this!!!!

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2009
Messages
1,213
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, after getting (and reading about half of it) the book "Pulse Power", I decided to hit the same trashy beach I hit yesterday.. I also found out how to increase the volume on the PI Dual Field, so also wanted to see how much difference that made..
Well, the tips in the book sure did help... I am so used to the "turn on and go" of the MXT and Excal, that until I started reading the book, didnt realize that PI's need to be adjusted and tweaked for the type/place you are hunting..
Found a few nails and screws as well as a couple bobby pins, but today more for theory testing... Yep, they give a double tone, but I noticed only if I swept moderately fast.. If I swept narrowly or slowly, then I didnt get the double blip.. Also, using Clive's tip, I tested turning from one side to another (since he said up-ended rings can double blip) and sure enough, they only double blipped in one direction (some rings are supposed to double blip no matter what angle you sweep from)...
So I hear a real faint tone, longer in one direction than the other, but no double blip.. Also wasnt that same "crisp" sound that iron seems to make.. So I dig, and I dig, and I dig some more... I finally had a hole that was about 2/3 up my knee (a good 16"), and finally the hole cleared... Started clearing my scoop (I put some 1/4" mesh in the bottom trying to get the small earrings, which worked really well on recovering BTW) and what do I see there???? A soggy, but in great condition $20 bill!!!
WOW.... Must have been the magnetic strip they have in them....
I kept detecting, and found a cool marble, one of those "smashed marble" glass beads (of course I know these were incidental in my scoop), a cheap kids ring (but I thought gold when I first saw it in the scoop), a cheap starfish charm, a couple quarters, and one penny... And of course, quite a bit of Iron garbage... But over all, I thought it went well, and between reading the book (the 1st quarter, cant wait to read the rest) putting the screen on the scoop, and cranking the volume, it was a successful quick hunt I think...
Every target was at least 10" or more deep (I have worked this beach to death with my Excal)... One piece of Iron was very deep, the hole was knee deep... I am very impressed with the depth of this machine..
 

Attachments

  • PI $20.webp
    PI $20.webp
    48.7 KB · Views: 862
  • 01_21_10 PI Finds 2.webp
    01_21_10 PI Finds 2.webp
    62.7 KB · Views: 867
  • 07_21_10 PI Finds.webp
    07_21_10 PI Finds.webp
    35.3 KB · Views: 859
Upvote 0
Cash is always great.Congrats :tongue3:
 
glad to hear... where are ya at? PM me if need be... :thumbsup:
 
Yes undeed, you will find everything there is to find with a P.I. unit. More work, but you will be rewarded with deeper, heavier targets. You will learn to hear the shape and size of the targets. Still try to dig everything if possible because sometimes that double beep will be a ring next to a coin. ;D
 
Silver Surfer said:
Well, after getting (and reading about half of it) the book "Pulse Power", I decided to hit the same trashy beach I hit yesterday.. I also found out how to increase the volume on the PI Dual Field, so also wanted to see how much difference that made..
Well, the tips in the book sure did help... I am so used to the "turn on and go" of the MXT and Excal, that until I started reading the book, didnt realize that PI's need to be adjusted and tweaked for the type/place you are hunting..
Found a few nails and screws as well as a couple bobby pins, but today more for theory testing... Yep, they give a double tone, but I noticed only if I swept moderately fast.. If I swept narrowly or slowly, then I didnt get the double blip.. Also, using Clive's tip, I tested turning from one side to another (since he said up-ended rings can double blip) and sure enough, they only double blipped in one direction (some rings are supposed to double blip no matter what angle you sweep from)...
So I hear a real faint tone, longer in one direction than the other, but no double blip.. Also wasnt that same "crisp" sound that iron seems to make.. So I dig, and I dig, and I dig some more... I finally had a hole that was about 2/3 up my knee (a good 16"), and finally the hole cleared... Started clearing my scoop (I put some 1/4" mesh in the bottom trying to get the small earrings, which worked really well on recovering BTW) and what do I see there???? A soggy, but in great condition $20 bill!!!
WOW.... Must have been the magnetic strip they have in them....
I kept detecting, and found a cool marble, one of those "smashed marble" glass beads (of course I know these were incidental in my scoop), a cheap kids ring (but I thought gold when I first saw it in the scoop), a cheap starfish charm, a couple quarters, and one penny... And of course, quite a bit of Iron garbage... But over all, I thought it went well, and between reading the book (the 1st quarter, cant wait to read the rest) putting the screen on the scoop, and cranking the volume, it was a successful quick hunt I think...
Every target was at least 10" or more deep (I have worked this beach to death with my Excal)... One piece of Iron was very deep, the hole was knee deep... I am very impressed with the depth of this machine..
i hate to tell you but your excal or your df cant detect paper money
 
No detector made will find paper money, magnetic strip or not......
 
A DF Pi will find the paper money if it looks like this, Finderzzs 2009, one of his great finds from last year.....Nice Job SS, I like It!!!~
 

Attachments

  • money clip finderrz.webp
    money clip finderrz.webp
    52.5 KB · Views: 620
I gotta get that book!
 
Da Sand Crab said:
Yes undeed, you will find everything there is to find with a P.I. unit. More work, but you will be rewarded with deeper, heavier targets. You will learn to hear the shape and size of the targets. Still try to dig everything if possible because sometimes that double beep will be a ring next to a coin. ;D
Funny you mention that.. Today I had the double beep in one direction, but I am still digging it all, and in the second scoop the hole was clear.. Even though it was a double beep, it had a different sound to it, maybe longer than usual?? Anyway, when I looked in the scoop, there was a bobby pin, a quarter, a dime, and a penny... All in the second scoop... Had I ignored that double beep, I would have missed the clad.. Could have just as easily been a ring or earring or something...
Found 3 .925 hoop earrings with it today... And quite a few SS bolts, washers, and even two wingnuts... Those arent cheap, and I am always using SS hardware for my boat, dock, etc.. I figure a good $6 in hardware today..
 
excal/pirate said:
i hate to tell you but your excal or your df cant detect paper money
Well, I couldnt wait to prove you wrong, as I KNOW that the hole cleared on the scoop that held the $20 in it... SOooo, I took the PI outside AND the $20, and found a decently clear spot on my lawn... Man, you are right.. No signal at all...
I know they have "magnetic" strips in them, so how can they be "read" by many various machines, and traced by that strip, but apparently arent metal?
I guess I should be even more amazed that I just happened to scoop a twenty out of the deep sand...
 
10 inches below the 20 that you found was a 22kt diamond ring!!! :tongue3:
 
The old BFO detector made by D-TEX would find paper money under a rug but not
deeper! I know this to be a fact as I had one and did it all the time just to show it
off to people. Don't remember the model number but it had the coil stem on the
bottom of the control box and it also had real gold circuit boards in it but that was
stopped after a short time when the price of gold went up a little and they changed
the model up.
 
Silver Surfer said:
Well, after getting (and reading about half of it) the book "Pulse Power", I decided to hit the same trashy beach I hit yesterday.. I also found out how to increase the volume on the PI Dual Field, so also wanted to see how much difference that made..
Well, the tips in the book sure did help... I am so used to the "turn on and go" of the MXT and Excal, that until I started reading the book, didnt realize that PI's need to be adjusted and tweaked for the type/place you are hunting..

Just curious, do you know the author of the book or where it can be found?

Thanks!
 
nudels said:
Silver Surfer said:
Well, after getting (and reading about half of it) the book "Pulse Power", I decided to hit the same trashy beach I hit yesterday.. I also found out how to increase the volume on the PI Dual Field, so also wanted to see how much difference that made..
Well, the tips in the book sure did help... I am so used to the "turn on and go" of the MXT and Excal, that until I started reading the book, didnt realize that PI's need to be adjusted and tweaked for the type/place you are hunting..

Just curious, do you know the author of the book or where it can be found?

Thanks!
Just go to "Clivesgoldpagehome" and you can buy it directly from him... Or you can get it from Kellyco..
 
Silver Surfer said:
Da Sand Crab said:
Yes undeed, you will find everything there is to find with a P.I. unit. More work, but you will be rewarded with deeper, heavier targets. You will learn to hear the shape and size of the targets. Still try to dig everything if possible because sometimes that double beep will be a ring next to a coin. ;D
Funny you mention that.. Today I had the double beep in one direction, but I am still digging it all, and in the second scoop the hole was clear.. Even though it was a double beep, it had a different sound to it, maybe longer than usual?? Anyway, when I looked in the scoop, there was a bobby pin, a quarter, a dime, and a penny... All in the second scoop... Had I ignored that double beep, I would have missed the clad.. Could have just as easily been a ring or earring or something...
Found 3 .925 hoop earrings with it today... And quite a few SS bolts, washers, and even two wingnuts... Those arent cheap, and I am always using SS hardware for my boat, dock, etc.. I figure a good $6 in hardware today..

According to Dankowski, masking is real problem that metal detecting technology hasn't been able to overcome. He says a lot of potential good finds get lost due to this and he's done the research to prove it. His conclusions are very interesting and really opened my eyes. See www.dankowskidetectors.com to read the articles.
 
He's a little behind the times. The Pulse Devil will see non ferrous items both in front and behind iron of a much larger bulk.

As for Clive's book its a little misleading as there are many pulse machines that don't need the tweaking of the Whites D.F. or the careful selection of sweep speed yet will deliver more depth. My Deepstar just needs the threshold advanced till its set to an acceptable level to suit your hearing and then the SAT speed set low if on clean sand or halfway to deal with blacksand.
Thats it ! Light coil and spot on pinpointing comes as standard.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom