3 $1 GOLD PIECES found MD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(UPDATED)!!!

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
---> PLEASE NOTE: This post tells my experiences treasure hunting in Wyoming this trip in 3 sections, metal detecting, coin roll hunting, and spending the half dollars. It is worth taking 5 minutes out of your busy lives to read the ENTIRE post as you may find so of my experiences quite funny. PLEASE ENJOY!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

METAL DETECTTING

Im still in Jackson Hole Wyoming. I went to a very big and busy playground today and for the first 55 minutes found about $1.50 in change. Then i got a target which read up as a half dollar 2 inches deep, so i push some woodchips away with my hand and a shiny new sacagawea dollar was looking straight up at me!!! This was my first dollar coin so i was so excited. Then 3 feet away i got a quarter signal and 1 inch deep was a quarter. I thought there might have been a pocket spill here so i kept sweeping the coil over the general area. I got a dollar signal and thought it was the metal tube holding up the slide, i brush away the woodchips and find another sacagawea dollar coin!!! My heart skipped exactly one beat for each of these dollars. Then 1 foot away i get another signal, a quarter signal 1 inch deep on my ace 250. I scrape away some woodchips with my hand and uncover my 3rd sacagawea gold dollar coin!!! My heart stopped. I detected a little more in this are but didnt find anything so i left to get lunch and a drink because i was starving. My first 3 dollar coins were found in exactly 5 minnutes about 1-3 feet appart from each other! My totals for the day were...

COINS:

3 gold dollars

2 quarters

5 dimes

3 nickels

24 pennies

OTHER:

a button
a silver (i think) charm from a charm bracelat.

--------------
TOTAL: $4.39 in exactly one hour. (good for 2 silver quarters)

COIN ROLL HUNTING

Went through about $750 in halves, $70 in dimes, $34 in nickles, and $2 in pennies. Goeing through 75 rolls in halves, 14 rolls in dimes, 17 rolls in nickels, and 4 rolls in pennies i have gotten the following results...

HALVES: (7) 40%ers ...
(1) 90%er

DIMES: (1) 1951 silver rossie!

NICKELS: (4) 1939 nickels ...
(1) 1940 ...
(1) 1941 ...
(2) 1948 nickels ...
(1) 1949 ...
(2) 1950 nickels ...
(1) 1951 ...
(2) 1956 nickels...
(3) 1958 nickels (1 in uncirculated BU condition) ...
(1) 1959

PENNIES: (1) 1950 D wheat cent ...
(1) 1955 D wheat cent

OTHER: (1) 1965 canadian cent ...
(2) 1965 canadian nickles

SPENDING THE HALF DOLLARS:

Spending the half dollars this trip was a lot of fun. Here are the stories...

1. Went to a store to buy something for $25.00 and i payed in halves, the store owner said i could have the hat for free rather than give him the halves! Some people are just a little too lazy arent they?

2. Payed for a $40.00 lunch with halves, the guys thought i hadnt searched them for silver yet! LOL!!! (yes, i did tell them i already did after i payed).

3. $10 in variouse tips at restaurants... usual responses, "What are these", "Is this american?", "We dont accept foreign money here", "Cool coins, thanks!", "i havent seen these in ages!".

4. Got $300 in halves at one bank, went through them, and returned them the next day, the lady said she was gonna have to charge we 10% or $30 dollars to take them back!LMFAO!!!

5. "Im sorry you cant get the half dollars at this bank, i search them for silver"

6. Because some of the banks started getting attitudes with me my mom told me to tell them that my parents are seeing which banks are the nicest to me, they are deciding where to open an account at. I told one lady at the bank this when she was gonna charge me for returning the halves... her response: "HAHAHA, yeah right, iv never heard that one before!". ROFL!

CLOSING MESSAGE: I love Wyoming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for viewing!

Seriously im actually considering moving out west when im an adult its so much fun out here!

Most of the banks are nice...

-CC

Upvote 0
Re: 3 $1 GOLD PIECES found MD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are Gold coins , and Gold Looking Coins! Congrats on you finds! Looks like you had one heck of a day! Hh

Re: 3 $1 GOLD PIECES found MD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey CC sounds like you had a great trip. :)

Congrats on the dollar coins!

Great subject line! This is the type of posting thats needed around here. Keep them coming. You're doing great.

Excellant-- some finds are just Heart-stopping!! I'll never forget My silver dollar-- wow!! Glad your trip out West was fun- thats the way all trips should be.
Congrats & HH

Thanks everyone :D. Lol, the title is a bit misleading i guess... not really though, it gets people reading the post. Thanks again and HH!

-CC

You certainly know how to get the reader's attention!
:)

Congrats on the great play area digs.
Got to love those pocket spills especially
when they are big coins!

I enjoy your posts CC, great detail and very interesting, thanks!

Smiles!
BDoo

Thanks Bdoo! I try to make them as enjoyable as i can so no one gets board. It took me 10 minnutes to think of a catchy title. Lol. Thanks for looking, i enjoy your posts as well, you always seem to get the good finds. HH!

-CC

I don't care what anyone says, any kind of find is exciting. I don't even mind finding pennies. To be able to use technology and go out and find items of value buried in the ground is exciting. I have found 345 coins in the last 30 days and only one silver, a 1953s quarter. I am very proud of my finds and you should be too. Congradulations on some great finds.

Keep on Hunting!

great job CC2004. As long as you got some time out with the Ace on your vacation it was a great time. The dollar coins are just icing on the cake. Now you just need to start doing some researching of some older spots in your area. Try searching for historical maps of your town and you might find some stuff that was there in the past but is not there anymore. That is what I have found. I had a road about 1/2 mile away from my house that is now ATV trails. There used to be a house there on a map I found from 1908. That is where I found my 2 large cents, 1842 and 1853. Try looking in the maps section of the forum and try a few links to see how close you can get to your area.

HH

Funkman

super job there kiddo

Kennedy half dollars are legal tender. If someone won't accept them on the grounds that they're "foreign" or "not legal", make a fuss about it. Don't let the issue go.

I can't believe the nerve of that bank person who wanted to charge you money to take back the halves. You might try calling her superiors and see if she's even allowed to do that.

Sounds like a fun trip! Great job on those Sac dollars. I might have to go back to the playground and search under the slide. I thought the hits were from the metal slide base.
Keep searching, and keep those great posts coming!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back