3-3-06 rolls

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
I went and bought a box of pennies...then later got 13 nickel rolls. I wasn't in the best of moods though, the tellers are starting to give me kind of a hard time with all this. It appears that nobody wants to give up their coins...or for that matter, take the coins. Whether I'm cashing them in or taking them, they act like it's some huge burden. Then one bank told me that they couldn't sell me a box unless I'm from a business because they are charged by the roll and all this...grr...oh well. I'm fine, but it's starting to irritate me a little! Finds as follows:

1975 Canadian penny

Nickels (pre-60's): -- (4 of the rolls were unopened uncirculated 2004 nickels...)
1958 -- 2
1956 -- 2

Wheats:
1958D
1954S
1951D
1947S
1946D
1944D

No picture or scan, I don't feel up to it...

Upvote 0

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Snee, some tellers are not nice,but don't give up. First of all you need to find a bank that doesn't mind selling you the rolls of coins. I go to a local Dollar Bank, and the tellers are very nice and don't mind selling me the rolls of coins. Just try to locate a bank that doesn't have a problem selling and then you should be able to go in as often as you like.

I know that our local First Merit bank keeps a lot of boxes of rolled coins on hand will sell them with no questions asked.

Now as for turning the rolls back in, what I would suggest is to DEPOSIT them into your own account. If the bank requires your name or account number on them, then write it on the rolls. But the tellers can't tell you that they won't accept the rolled coins for deposit, and there shouldn't be any additional charge to you to turn them into your own bank. As long as they are rolled ahead of time and the bank doesn't have to run them thru a machine.

Keep at it and don't let them get you down. I've had my share of nasty tellers in the past.

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Oh Snee, if all else fails pull a De Niro and say, "Are you talking to me?!" and cock your head with an attitude that'll scare em. ;D Sometimes crazy works.

Hothgar

Aug 1, 2005
Yeah - i go in phases of people being willing to give up rolls! Never a problem taking them though at my two dropoff banks.

Hothgar

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread