3 Mercs to go

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I asked my son to sell me my father's collection of Mercury Dimes ($150 and the coins are to be left to him in my will). It is complete except for the 1921s, the 1916d, and the 1942/1 (all the biggies, I know).

Anyhow, I am going to finish the set. I know there are a lot of Counterfeit coins out there. I can buy them slabbed and the break them out to put them into my father's book, or I can buy them at a coin show. Now, I am only going to get a AG3 to Good 6 on these (so they'll match the other coins in the set). The set runs from AG to EX, but mostly on the lower end. He bought $1000 face of silver dime in 1990 and I pulled the Mercs to fill this book.

Anyhow, any ideas on what I should do to insure I'm getting the real poop? I mean, I hate to get slabbed coins and break them out, but I don't think I trust dealers to sell real coins. I was thinking of going on Ebay, but they are more counterfeit than not, from what I understand.

Anyhow, suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
No such thing as a 21s mercury dime. Both 1921 coins are hard to come by. 42 over 1's were produced at Philly and Denver so two very hard coins. Don't break them out of the slab. Just keep them separate but still part of the collection.
Apparently they are faking slabbed coins as well.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a 1921d that I dug and got graded at vf or something like that...not for sale though. I like my shiny stuff. do the two top grading companies not provide a way to verify with them based on serial numbers or something? Call before you make a purchase and see what info they can provide maybe

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd buy from a local dealer if you don't have the expertise to judge the grade and authenticity. Maybe head down the Long Beach Coin show. They should be having one this fall if Covid doesn't screw things up again. They usually have some renowned coin experts there that can authenticate a coin for you for a fee.......sometimes they will just give you a free opinion.

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not buy the 16D raw! This coin is heavily counterfeited. I was once told that 4X as many people have them in their collection as actual coins were produced. I was lucky enough to have found one in circulation years ago! That will never happen again!

OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Unfortunately, the Long Beach Show contradicts my Garage Sale Day. Maybe I'll take a sick day.

There are no local dealers I know and trust.

If I do get them slabbed, I will break them out. The point of this was to fill my father's book and pass it on to my son. Having a book and 3 slabbed coins isn't what I am looking for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread