What's new

3 serious questions for the experts

metal mania

Hero Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Messages
576
Reaction score
50
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1.dual discrimination what is it how to use it.
2.reverse discrimation.
3.power tuning / or power balance.

what are these and how do you use them please
 
I am not familiar with any of those terms but I will give my best guess as to what they mean.

  • Dual discrimination sounds like what is called notch discrimination. You are able to take something out of the middle of the conductivity range like pull tabs.
  • I have really no idea what reverse discrimination means. Any time you accept or reject any target it is considered discrimination in the metal detector world.
  • Power tuning or balance sounds like a method of ground balance. If you have a manual ground balance machine you can make it more sensitive through ground balancing the machine. It basically makes the ground hotter but can give you more depth under the right circumstances.

I hope this helps. But like I said I have never really heard those terms used before.
 
metal mania said:
1.dual discrimination what is it how to use it.
2.reverse discrimation.
3.power tuning / or power balance.

what are these and how do you use them please

Dual “frequency” discrimination, allows you to set the machine up in the first setting to reject just iron, and the second setting can be set to a different frequency to discriminate out aluminum. When you hit a target that sounds good in the first mode, you know it is not iron, so you throw your toggle switch or push the button to engage your second setting to see if it still alerts. Not to be confused with “Dual Tone.”

“Reverse Discrimination,” is an old method of knocking out unwanted targets from the bad old days of TR/BFO metal detecting. Today, the term is used to mean hunting in All Metal, and when you hit a target, checking it with discrimination to see if you want to dig it (instead of missing targets running in a discriminate mode).

“Power,” or Super tuning, just means running your machine as hot as you can in discriminate mode. Usually, you set discrimination just above iron, and crank the sensitivity to nine (or as high as it will go without chattering). That’s it! :thumbsup:
 
thanks terry that dual frequency sounds complicated
 
Actually, dual discrimination is pretty simple. You just set two different discrimination levels on the detectors that are set up for it. For instance, disc 1 would knock out iron and disc 2 is set to accept copper and coins (silver only). If you still get a signal when in disc 2, better dig to see what it is. Basically the equivalent of thumbing a single disc. knob through 2 settings.
luvsdux.
 
metal mania said:
thanks terry that dual frequency sounds complicated

Like LuvsDux said, it's not really complicated. It's really very simple, and can make your digging life a lot easier if you are a cherry picker. :thumbsup:
 
thanks guys so its like an early form of notch
 
hello,out there.
on my garret master hunter cx plus,there two knobs were one I set it to knock out iron up to a nickle it goes pass a nickle signal. the second knob sets lower than a nickle up to a copper penny so you won't lose any silver coins. you can dial the two to knock out every thing but nickels,pennies,dime's,quarters,and up will chime.It's the same as notching out every thing digitally but keeping a curers open on nickel to except nickel, to aid in finding that elusive Buffalo.
 
Actually, "supertuning" is a term used to define "overdriving" your detector's normal preset parameters.

What this means is that you push the detector's power past it's predefined or normal state of use. It causes the audio circuit power to overpower the normal threshold's sensitivity;

www.tesoro.com/info/faq/generaldetecting/

#1 Put the detector in disc mode.

#2 Turn the threshold mode all the way up to max.

#3 Turn the volume down so that you can stand the noise.

Your depth and sensitivity to small objects will increase, but all-metal won't work very well.

LL
 
HI Metalmania; Simple Question. What brand metal detector is it ??? Your Post does not say ok. Thanks. PEACE:RONB ???
 
BARKER said:
HI Metalmania; Simple Question. What brand metal detector is it ??? Your Post does not say ok. Thanks. PEACE:RONB ???
1260x fisher
 
This is dual discrimmation you have dis 1 and dis. 2 as you see on this Garrett freedom 2....Then they called it trash 1 and trash 2........... it's been around for a long time.....
 

Attachments

  • $(KGrHqV,!ocE63(m!7(8BOzTH)v9,!~~60_12.webp
    $(KGrHqV,!ocE63(m!7(8BOzTH)v9,!~~60_12.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 899
  • $(KGrHqV,!ocE63(m!7(8BOzTH)v9,!~~60_12.webp
    $(KGrHqV,!ocE63(m!7(8BOzTH)v9,!~~60_12.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 856
Hi Folks; Simple Idea here. Answer hs questions using his detector, Just an idea. PEACELRONB
 
:icon_thumleft:

Just dig every thing, or ask UK Brian :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
BARKER said:
Hi Folks; Simple Idea here. Answer hs questions using his detector, Just an idea. PEACELRONB
WHAT .. kind of idea is that.... We are trying....... But we go off track at times.....
 
Thanks SS that might be why I had 7 e-mails re detecting/older detectors yesterday. Luckily it was raining and I didn't actually feel like going out.

LL is totally right re supertuning though with some detectors (Beach Hunter Id) its better to supertune then detect in all metal.

No "frequency" change with the dual discriminators its just an electronic "shortcut" to a higher level on the discrim. side. Fisher didn't come up with the idea as there were a few old buys who had converted other brands of detector first. James Gifford in his free Tesoro magazine said he couldn't see the point of it, then many years on introduced it on the Tejon. Perhaps he saw the light on the road to Jerusalem same as Charles Garrett who didn't really see the point of probability meters and said there was nothing clever about making them. Just down the road he bowed to public pressure and Garrett became the ultimate "probability" brand. Side effect was that Britain that had been awash with Garretts (mainly Groundhogs) moved away from Garrett and Tesoro's (with no meters) took over.

"Reverse discrimination" is now a totally misused term on all the forums as many modern detectors can't do it. Those who think they are doing it in fact are not. With the old IB/TR's it added extra depth/accuracy to discrimination and involved sliding the coil sideways off the target and using the pushbutton retune to retune to the ground and then sliding back to the target and if the audio went bad or disappeared then it was a good target and should be dug. Hence "reverse".
 
Good post Brian, I avoided the obvious need for remarks about the "reverse discrimination", because it's too easy to ire people at times with a flood of information, and eventually someone like you would take care of it anyway. My theory is that the best way to teach is to give people info bit by bit, but the best way to inform is to hit it head-on. It seems to work better for most people that way. Differential calculus, for example can't be learned by just learning basic calculus, one must first learn algebra before even heading into the rigors of calc. It's just my theory though, and the rest is left up to the masses to sort through - while the geniuses just devour it all very rapidly like finely chopped, tasty slaw.

LL
 
Keppy said:
BARKER said:
Hi Folks; Simple Idea here. Answer hs questions using his detector, Just an idea. PEACELRONB
WHAT .. kind of idea is that.... We are trying....... But we go off track at times.....


Hi Keppy; I was trying to hone in on which detector he uses himself in an attempt to assist him. I was very tired when I typed it so I know I misworded it. Just look at that spelling. It's horrible. ::) anyway, I hope this clears that up ok. PEACE:RONB :icon_thumright:
 
BARKER said:
Keppy said:
BARKER said:
Hi Folks; Simple Idea here. Answer hs questions using his detector, Just an idea. PEACELRONB
WHAT .. kind of idea is that.... We are trying....... But we go off track at times.....


Hi Keppy; I was trying to hone in on which detector he uses himself in an attempt to assist him. I was very tired when I typed it so I know I misworded it. Just look at that spelling. It's horrible. ::) anyway, I hope this clears that up ok. PEACE:RONB :icon_thumright:
No problem i did not know how to answer his question..... I should have said nothing ... For what i did say was no help at all..................Lets say i know what to do ...I knew what his question was...........But did not know how to put an answer to him in words....
 
I'm still workin on bilateral coil sweeping, and pre-emptive scrim patterns. The triple dual-range differential spectrum analysis settings have me all confused.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom