$30,000 Diamond Ring Goes To Fourth-Grade Finder

S

stefen

Orange County REGISTER

A $30,000 diamond ring sparkles plenty when "finder" Daniel Fabris picks it up at the Fullerton Police Department.

$30,000 bling goes to fourth-grade finder
Fullerton police follow state code to locate owner; nobody comes forward.

By BARBARA GIASONE
The Orange County Register

FULLERTON – The diamond was as dazzling as Daniel Fabris' contagious smile.

After waiting five months for someone to claim an engagement ring he found on a school playground, the fourth-grader stood inside the Fullerton Police Department property room to be declared the legal owner of the jewelry.

Daniel, 9, slipped the sparkler on his thumb, looked at his mom and told officers, "I'm going to give this to my parents for safekeeping."

His mother, Rebecca Fabris, had jokingly asked Daniel if he wanted to save the 3-carat gem, appraised at $30,000, for a future bride.

"He told me it should be used for his college education," she said.

Daniel's good judgment was equally apparent in the ring saga: Doing the right thing – and having patience – pays off.

Sgt. John Siko said the police followed the California Civil Code in trying to locate the rightful owner.

The princess-cut stone on a platinum band was kept in the police safe beyond the required 90 days. A classified ad ran in a local newspaper, after which seven days were allowed for the owner to step forward.

Police conferred with the city attorney to determine who should get the ring.

The attorney and the police agreed.

Daniel was the finder, Daniel would be the keeper.

"You had a choice, either to keep the ring and stick it in your pocket, or turn it in," Sgt. Mike MacDonald told Daniel. "The police department is very proud you chose to do the right thing."

High-fives were exchanged.

Daniel recounted how he was headed for recess when he spotted the ring on the blacktop among backpacks propped near a classroom door.

"Five friends followed me to the classroom where I handed it to my teacher," he remembered with a giggle. "She asked if I was proposing to her."

Laguna Road School Principal Harold Sullivan said Thursday at first the teachers thought it was a piece of costume jewelry, but after one teacher had it appraised by a jeweler and learned of its value, Sullivan called police to pick up the costly gem.

Flyers were sent to parents. A district official planned to check with an attorney to see if the district could be considered the rightful owner because it was found on school property, Sullivan said.

"We commended our student for doing the right thing," Sullivan added.

At home, Daniel's parents, Rebecca and Claudio, and his sisters, Erika, 14, and Samantha, 11, were equally proud.

"Daniel has always been a well-rounded boy with a compassionate heart," Rebecca Fabris said.

After putting the diamond in his mother's purse at the police department, Daniel said he'll continue to be patient.

He's still waiting for someone to return a watch he lost at school in the second grade.

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
What's sad is that there were obviously a bunch of people who were trying to get at that ring. The school and police department both admitted to having to seek the advice of attorneys to see who should really end up getting it. In the end it was probably a PR move to not steal the thing away from the little kid. If it had been a detectorist it may have gone differently.

I'm glad he got to keep it in the end. But I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a bunch of people coming forward now to try and claim it. At the very least the person who lost it might be more likely to see the story in the paper (as opposed to some ridiculous little ad that very few are likely to see). I wonder what will happen if the true owner does come forward and prove that it was theirs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread