USAFM6

Mar 7, 2014
Tyndall Air Force Base Florida / Iron River, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari & Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello All,
In June I will finally have the chance to drive to AK and try my dream of trying to find some gold for a few weeks. My son and I are going to drive from Wisconsin and we're looking for a place we can set up our highbanker and shovel material. We are hoping to find a place in the wilderness with road access to camp and prospect. Is anyone aware of any old mining sites or anywhere we could rent to prospect and run our highbanker? My son and I have talked about doing this for so many years and now we finally have the chance and want the best opportunity to try and find at least a little gold in a remote place with few or no other people around. I've missed too many years with my son while in the military so long and this would be our dream trip to spend time together. If anyone can give us any ideas we would very much appreciate it. We have a 4X4 & ATV to help with accessing locations.

Thank you to anyone that can help.
Dean & Cory

Sluice Box

Jan 1, 2012
The cold north
Detector(s) used
ACE 150, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in Alaska around the Fairbanks area in the hills for about 2 years after I completed my term of service. I would say it's an awesome place to possibly prospect! I did a few times in the Gold Stream Valley. Spending most of my time working on a cabin I didn't really find much to be honest with you but at the time, I was a cherry into the whole new world of prospecting. I honestly would suggest to do plenty of research, and if possible get into contact with individuals that reside there! Sitting at a local Mcdonald's would serve you well as it did me while I was there realizing that true prospectors have no means of communication to the outside world except by word of mouth. Met some amazing people that have been residing there for plenty of years, and had plenty of experience, and gave me plenty of good advice. Possibly the one located closest to the University of Fairbanks if you manage to find yourself in that area. I met some amazing people there! I do remember hiking through the hills at one point in time though, and a guy that had just completed a days work of collecting firewood after the break-up offered me a ride, which I was hesitant at the time, but accepted. Riding along he'd asked me if I'd been prospecting, and I replied no because I was busy helping a friend out building his cabin. I was 27 at the time, and he explained to me that there was nothing else he'd rather be doing if he was my age, then be prospecting! I hope the best of luck to you and your son!

Sluice

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All the best luck to you and your son on your adventure. will you also have a metal detector with you? I have a minelab xterra 705,which has a prospecting mode for hunting gold nuggets. Might also help you decide where to set up your highbanker.
Have a great time, and thanks so much for your lifetime of service to our country.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread