3200 Year Old Shipwreck Yields Lead Ingots

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
This beats the pre-atomic Roman lead by a good bit. I can't tell from the picture if the measurements are in centimeters or inches, but if it is inches, they are about 20" across. They also appear flat, so maybe that's just how ingots rolled back then. Either way, radiation free lead is sure to make the archies happy. As for me, I'm more curious as to what lead was used for 3200 years ago, and the fact that this shipwreck is 3200 years old. How cool is that? I also kind of marvel at how tough it must have been to find and collect the ore, and then smelt it if these 4 small ingots were worth transporting such long distances.

Lead Ingots on Ship That Sank Off Canaan 3,200 years ago have Cypro-Minoan markings

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This beats the pre-atomic Roman lead by a good bit. I can't tell from the picture if the measurements are in centimeters or inches, but if it is inches, they are about 20" across. They also appear flat, so maybe that's just how ingots rolled back then. Either way, radiation free lead is sure to make the archies happy. As for me, I'm more curious as to what lead was used for 3200 years ago, and the fact that this shipwreck is 3200 years old. How cool is that? I also kind of marvel at how tough it must have been to find and collect the ore, and then smelt it if these 4 small ingots were worth transporting such long distances.

Lead Ingots on Ship That Sank Off Canaan 3,200 years ago have Cypro-Minoan markings
Thanks for sharing. Very interesting.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
lead has been a highly useful item for many many YEARS , sadly in older times many eating items plates and goblets were made of lead ..acidic foods like wine and tomato base4d foods of caused lead to leech out into foos causing lead poisioning .. leaD was of coursed used in plumbing amd making spoons and forks as well so yah lead was a big useage item long ago -- aas low alpha lead dfor computer useage it is very valuible these days as well

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread