29.1 KB · Views: 699

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If i were going to bid on the emerald i would ask for the registration# from the certificate to check it out with the Mel Fishers treasures.....

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The certicicate of authenticity looks bogus
I have a couple certificates (coins) from fisher that arent even close to what is pictured.
BUT - they may have changed the certificates i the last year ot two.
Ive had my certificates for about 6 +/- years, purchased directly from the Fisher group
certificates are usuall black and white, the gems / coins are usually BW / scanned images.
What I see in the certificate as a colered photo, im not aware of them doing this.
Just my opinion
Bradyboy

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a response to a question to the seller -
YIKES -
Q: How clear is the emerald? Do you have a better photo that shows it in-focus, preferably in high-resolution? My email address is [email protected] Mar-01-08
A: Hello. We do not have this stone, we are just listing it. We have tried numerous times to contact seller, to take more pics of this item, but no one has...more

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Winning bids: $256.oo on the coin.
$761.oo on the emerald.

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HELP HELP HELP
I did not create the second fome the end post.
Looks like some hijacked my name, and used a bigus email address to respond to
heres the post im concerned about - please advise
------------------
I didnt post this-
YIKES -
Q: How clear is the emerald? Do you have a better photo that shows it in-focus, preferably in high-resolution? My email address is [email protected] Mar-01-08
A: Hello. We do not have this stone, we are just listing it. We have tried numerous times to contact seller, to take more pics of this item, but no one has...more

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
bradyboy said:
HELP HELP HELP
------------------
I didnt post this-
YIKES -
to the real Bradyboy: I think you should talk to Jeff about this. Just click "moderator" and explain problem. Someone using your computer perhaps?

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
bradyboy said:
HELP HELP HELP
------------------
I didnt post this-
YIKES -
on second thought bradyboy, why dont you just delete it? :D

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Ah man, that looks bad. I hate seeing that coin all the time.

My take on this is that almost all of these copies are new, made in the last decade.

How I view it is like this:

Cobs of lower gold carat percentage, specified as jewelry, welded to a bezel would be jewelry with no intent to defraud.

Cobs of lower gold carat percentage, specified as jewelry, attached by prongs in a frame would be risky and may violate the cpa.

Gold cobs with words in the outer band replaced by "copy", are legible, and sold as a copy, are good to go.

Silver cobs- I've never really messed with this too much. I've thought about turning some out as props, or to be sold as tourist momentos like at the Whydah Museum, which they balked at, and I would change the outside legends to say something like, "Whydah Galley, 1717", but they were even leary of that.

There is oviously a lot of fakery going around with these. Always buy from a dealer you can trust, like Sedwick.

I don't think I would buy an emerald from anybody but a reputed finder. That reg. number check out is a pretty good idea.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread