4 1700s coins, several 1800s, lots of silver

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Finally time to give up my $100 Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter) after two years of great finds for what is supposed to be an inferior detector. I have found 4 coins from the 1700s (including silver 1/2 reale), several coins from the 1800s (including 1899 Barber 1/2), about 40 other silver coins (a 1908 barber 1/2, lots of mercs and several standing libs), and tons of everything else (two silver rings). Lots of musketballs and old buttons, etc. I snapped the detector near the base about a year ago and have been using it ducked taped together since then. It has some other issues as well and it's acting up these days, so time to move on to something better. Any suggestions in the $500 or less range?

Upvote 0

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Very nice collection. I don't think it matters what detector you use if you're in the right spot. You've done well with it. You'll receive many recommendations on what detector is better than this or that, so I'll let others fight it out. You can see what I use(look below). Good luck to you!!!!!
HH
Greg

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you got some pretty good stuff.
When the old detector shaft breaks, it's time to get something different. You can try epoxy, duct tape, hose clamps, and everything else, but they don't hold up long. Just about the time you find a really good site, it breaks again. :o >:(
There should be quite a few good detectors in the price range you're looking at.
Keep "Old Faithful" as a backup.
Good luck!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice, Sounds like you did well with that detector. Sounds like you have some good locations. Get a mxt and you will be surprized at what it can do. Buy one used not abused off of e-bay for 500-550.

Great machine for that price. Goes deep very sensitive and runs well.

HH Jer

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ace 250 is a great little machine for just over 200 bucks. I have a cibola and it is a great deep turn on and go detector but it only has one tone.For 500 you should be able to find a good machine. Go to detector reviews .com. Good info there. Good luck and great finds. :)

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
i've got an mxt,, and wouldnt ever trade it,, i wouldn't however get something so sensitive off e bay.. as jer mentioned,, just my opinion.....

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett GTA or Fisher CZ-3D Way to go!

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go to ebay you will find numerous good detectors.my choose is a minelab

tinpan

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't Mention What I Think you should Get Bergie.

I Think you can Read my Mind on this.

Your Best Bet Is to read Reviews (If you already Havn't)
IF Weight or balance is a Factor, Maby find a Multi Line
dealer and ask to Handle a Few.
Then, Look on EBay and see If you can Find one for
a Better Price.

Good Luck Deciding.
Jeff

Z

ZumbroKid

Too bad about such a good little machine breaking down on you. You must be a good detectorist to have made the old finds with it. Treat yourself to something nice.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Bergie, I gotta tell you;

I've been using a RS Discovery 3000, and have done OK with it as well. Just bought a new CZ3D, but can't bear to part w/ the 3000 - it's sooooo easy to use !

diggem'

J

J@J salvors

When you find the detector you like then go to Kellyco The website they seem to be the cheapest
For brand name stuff
Kellycodetectors.com
Good Hunting

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I ended up getting the next level up of Radio Shack/Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200. Have found many good coins since then in short period of time, including a couple of 1800s era. It's more where you search than the detector for the most part.

frogsmile

Dec 18, 2005
ohio
Detector(s) used
whites spectrem and fisher impulse and minelab excal.
Bergie, I used a bounty hunter big bud for years and there is nothing wrong with a bounty hunter, next time you snap your shaft try some gas line hose that is what i did and it is still holding . I gave that machine to the grandkids and they are still having a ball with it. And the gas line hose fix is still holding. I don't think the machine is as important as how will you know it and where you hunt. ::)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
hhmmmm for $500 there are a lot of choices. i guess it boils down to what do you like...complicated and extremely adjustable or simple and turn on and go.i think i would look at tesoro detectors in that price range pretty closely. just a thought. you could also try to get a used whites model that would usually be more expensive. xlt maybe?perhaps an mxt? good luck in choosing, it can be hard!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread