What's new

4 Days 4 Successful Hunts - 100s of Years of History

Keith123

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2013
Messages
315
Reaction score
586
Golden Thread
1
Location
Southeasern , CT
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (11in Coil), White's Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the Thanksgiving Holiday I got out to check a couple of return places and a couple of new places. Thanks for looking!

The first place was where I found the brown bess butt plate and cut KGII. Only one good find turned up on this trip, but it is one of my favorite types of finds - a nice shoe buckle at 9+ inches. Luckily the chape turned up only a couple feet away.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327057.499901.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327117.035033.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327091.133857.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327142.053668.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327117.035033.webp

The second place was a new permission. After a couple hours of hiking, I stumbled on what looked like a potential cellar hole. I took a couple of swings and sure enough there was scattered iron. A few minutes later I dug my first target which was also my first classic head large cent (1808). Out of the almost two dozen largies dug, never a single classic head (never dug a flowing hair or liberty cap either). Over the next hour - 7 buttons, an iron buckle, pottery, and some type of clasp. Awesome hunt and my first (potential) virgin cellar hole. Hope to return soon.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327276.932678.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327215.459857.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327310.902023.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327327.936128.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327382.507788.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327401.510069.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327429.661389.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327453.280227.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327471.815612.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327489.567364.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327513.702410.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327551.072715.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327571.407279.webp

The third place was a new location right next to a very busy highway. Anyone hunted next to a highway? Well if you haven't it sucks. Your ears are pounding the whole time. After 3 hours of fruitless searching around stone walls lining the highway, I got a good signal. Turned out to be my 3rd draped bust large cent. My first two were 1800 and they came from a pocket spill also containing a 1788 1/2 reale and an obvious fishing sinker. I was really hoping for a 1700s largie, but after a couple days in peroxide it appears it could be a 1798 or an 1803. The last number isn't detailed enough to tell if it's an 8 or a 3. Hopefully additional peroxide baths will clean it enough to tell.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327762.390452.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327892.001097.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327909.154452.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327934.588869.webp

The final place was a place I call the honey hole. Over the last year and a half a whole pile of silver has turned up from these grounds. Apparently it's still turning up. Pulled an 1876 seated dime in excellent condition, another reale button (looks like the date is 1763), flat button, and a potential indian hand tool or spear point. This place has had tons of documented indian activity. The spot is near brackish water and every shovel full of dirt turns up oyster shells. This 100ft x 100ft area has a layer of oyster shells about 8inches under the surface. Last year I found a brass kettle point only a couple hundred yards away. Feel free to chime in on what it may be (if anything).

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449327977.592728.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449328018.211365.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449328039.646293.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449328093.235279.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449328181.508931.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449328200.259996.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449328237.447169.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449328258.682262.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 20
Excellent hunt! Congratulations - would love to have a good day like that before the ground freeze.
 
What a great collection of finds! That buckle is a beauty. What was the signal like at 9 inches..solid or on the sketchy side? I can appreciate your comments about hunting next to a busy highway. All the constant noise kind of sucks the fun out of the overall experience!
 
Stellar hunt!!! Finding both pieces to the buckle was lucky for sure. The reale/button to me is the BEST of both worlds!!!! A virgin site would be SOOO SWEET!!!! Congratz & HH....
 
What a great collection of finds! That buckle is a beauty. What was the signal like at 9 inches..solid or on the sketchy side? I can appreciate your comments about hunting next to a busy highway. All the constant noise kind of sucks the fun out of the overall experience!

The signal was loud and clear. It was weird bc I dug a shoe buckle at the same depth once before with the Deus and it was quiet and with an iron squeak (Deus users know what about the "iron squeak"). The only reason I think it was such a good signal was due to a couple heavy and recent rains.
 
Nice finds! S mintmark on the dime?
 
DAMN KEITH YOU WOULDNT MAKE A MAN DROOL WOULD YOU . NICE FINDS BUDDIE ...
 
Great recoveries and great hunting stamina as well!!
 
Absolutely killer digs!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom