Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't gotten much time the last couple weeks to hunt. Found a few modern silvers and knock nacks, but these two items captured my interest. I found these two pieces by a new site where I suspect a 1700's/1800's swimming hole/trade area existed. I found the pin deep, where I've pulled some 1860 IHP's. The weight was also deep. Any info on these is welcome in regards to dating etc... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437650814.502552.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437650845.482891.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437650862.318252.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437650876.832227.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437650895.940716.jpg

If these items are in fact older, it's time for this guy to go swimming!

Happy hunting.

Upvote 13
Love the coin weight Scrappy. Hope I didn't steer you wrong on the ID, but guess we'll find out when some of the UK guys respond. BTW - have you weighed it yet? That might help to confirm the ID.

NICE FINDS ! :icon_thumleft:

Love the coin weight Scrappy. Hope I didn't steer you wrong on the ID, but guess we'll find out when some of the UK guys respond. BTW - have you weighed it yet? That might help to confirm the ID.

Hey, you were a big help. Thanks. I looked into 4-shilling coins and apparently they were only minted for a short period in the late 1800's. Now I'm not sure if it could have been used earlier for multiple coins at a time...

I'm betting those UK fellas are just getting back home now, old goodies in hand, so hopefully they'll chime in.

Nice saves! Congrats!

Hey, you were a big help. Thanks. I looked into 4-shilling coins and apparently they were only minted for a short period in the late 1800's. Now I'm not sure if it could have been used earlier for multiple coins at a time...

I'm betting those UK fellas are just getting back home now, old goodies in hand, so hopefully they'll chime in.

I'm not a coin weight expert, but I assumed they used them occasionally for multiple coins. Your weight appears to date to the mid-to-late 1700s, and there were no single coins that were of a 4 shilling denomination at that time. And like you said, later in the 1800s I believe there was a double florin coin that was valued at 4 shillings but that wouldn't apply here. Anyway, I'd better shut-up before my ignorance really starts showing :laughing7:.

Neat find, very interesting

THE OLD WEIGHT IS A COOL FIND THERE SCRAPPY DOO.

That type of Coin Weight dates to the 19th C, but its not in my book.

That type of Coin Weight dates to the 19th C, but its not in my book.

Do you have the Withers book? I've been trying to find a copy of that for years. Guess it's out of print.

Very interesting finds!

That's a really cool find buddy. Really like the look of it

Here's an old weight found in South Jersey, 1/8" or so thick and holed -- is it a coin weight, apothecary weight...any ideas?? The vertical impression is interesting.

Attachments

• Lead Weight (a) 185.jpg
    Lead Weight (a) 185.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Lead Weight (b) 186.jpg
    Lead Weight (b) 186.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 58
The brooch looks like it has some Gaelic knot in the design and a snowshoe shape. Definitely unique.

Do you have the Withers book? I've been trying to find a copy of that for years. Guess it's out of print.

Yes Withers. Most of my book collection are out of print, some only 500 copys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back