Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS......

Offerle is a city in Edwards County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2020 census, the population of the city was 179. Wikipedia
Elevation: 2,274′
Area: 179 acres
Weather: 78°F (26°C), Wind N at 12 mph (19 km/h), 26% Humidity weather.com
Population: 283 (2019)

One person per acre heh

data=oyTTCpCzSzdt8yMJ75_sZfFW-4b2kAZDrxxAjFXuMz5N7L_JeN1AEqk93SKPURVn_xIDDD13s2d4I2iBRIlqIIkzK...png

PErhaps it is now under the interstate. :P

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great research as usual Jeff of PA, keep them coming! Many i believe are legends, but you've posted up countless ones that clearly are real stories of treasure to be found!

Just for fun, i've put together my "Legends Formula" to differentiate what i believe are legends from real historical stories of lost wealth:

Legends Formula:
1. Most all are on the run/retreating/fleeing be they bandits, armies or innocent parties etc. (The Plausible Premise)
2. Treasures in tow with them (The Hook)
3. Buried the treasure as they are about to be overrun/overtaken/defeated/ambushed. (The Motive)
4. The Treasures weren't later recovered by any surviving members of the parties involved. (The mystery)
5. "Death bed"/"Too old to get it myself"/"Witness" Confession, often involving multiple geographic clues, markings and even hand scrawled maps. (The Confession)
6. Despite the confessions being 100's of years ago, it's still out there for you to find. (The call to action)

So, lets plug it in:

1. Innocent parties fleeing the Natives.
2. Vast California gold treasure in tow.
3. Buried it in an oven as they were about to be overrun.
4. The Treasure was never recovered by the lone surviving member.
5. Girl "Confesses" some 3/4 of a century later what happened.
6. Though she searched for it, she couldn't find it and it's still out there for you to find!

I've noticed a pattern in these old legends, they are almost all the same, just change up a few names, places or treasures. I believe they were just the campfire and paper entertainment of the time, that spurred the imagination and entertained the weary traveler as he sat around the campfire.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great research as usual Jeff of PA, keep them coming! Many i believe are legends, but you've posted up countless ones that clearly are real stories of treasure to be found!

Just for fun, i've put together my "Legends Formula" to differentiate what i believe are legends from real historical stories of lost wealth:

Legends Formula:
1. Most all are on the run/retreating/fleeing be they bandits, armies or innocent parties etc. (The Plausible Premise)
3. Buried the treasure as they are about to be overrun/overtaken/defeated/ambushed. (The Motive)
4. The Treasures weren't later recovered by any surviving members of the parties involved. (The mystery)
5. "Death bed"/"Too old to get it myself"/"Witness" Confession, often involving multiple geographic clues, markings and even hand scrawled maps. (The Confession)
6. Despite the confessions being 100's of years ago, it's still out there for you to find. (The call to action)

So, lets plug it in:

6. Though she searched for it, she couldn't find it and it's still out there for you to find!

I've noticed a pattern in these old legends, they are almost all the same, just change up a few names, places or treasures. I believe they were just the campfire and paper entertainment of the time, that spurred the imagination and entertained the weary traveler as he sat around the campfire.
True,but they,re sure fun to read!:notworthy: Good formula you,ve put together there too!

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Legends Formula:

So, lets plug it in:

I am already in my truck with my radio shack metal detector heading out there to find that treasure.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mayor of Mudville, Arkansas.
I,ll have you know that I do not lay claim to that exalted title.The Mayor of Mudville,Arkansas is one Gaylord Fogwah,duly elected by a majority vote in every election for the last 37 years.He espouses no political affiliation and promises to do absolutely nothing if elected.This suits the citizens of Mudville just fine since they are a hardy and independent bunch who don,t want the heavy hand of government on their backs.Or in their wallets.One Johnny Baird ran against Fogwah about 20 years ago,promising to bring great improvement and much government money to the town,but was run out of town wearing what looked suspiciously like tar and feathers. Fogwah has drawn no opponent since,suiting both Fogwah and the citizens just fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread