4k gold ring?

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for a few hours and managed to pick up just north of $5 in clad, 2 junk rings, 1 1953 wheat back and the typical trash. I also picked up a gold ring dull in color with 3 chips in it. As I cleaned it up I noticed that it was stamped 4k. Doing a little search I found the following: That the U.S. mint only marks 10k and above starting in the 60's/70's. So this could be a 4k ring from long ago or possible foreign gold as they do not have standard markings. Also it dose not appear that there was ever a 1 stamp in front of the 4. Any additional info on this would be appreciated.
IMG_3802.jpg IMG_0014.jpg

Upvote 7

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure it would be 14k, but the "1" has worn off. Nice gold ring, congrats

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree with the worn off "1". Any ring with stones I bring to a local jeweler, they check them out for free here, should be able to find someone to do the same for you, they can check the stones and authenticate the 14K. Good luck.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with above, wore off 1. But strange is 14k most of the time does very well in salt water. I have seen gold rings less then 9k but none were never marked...It would be interesting to see your final outcome.

OP
OP
S

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread