5 Silver Day!! Got an SLQ!!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Everyone,

Today marks a very special day for me. With my four wilver coins I found, I surpassed my year end goal for silver coinage. Today's take pushed me over the 500 mark for the year. I was hoping to just get three more wilvers today, but ended up with 4, plus about 13 wheaties, and a cool little wilver pin which says, "Glendale Anglers Club, Fly Rod Tackle". My best wilver today no doubt is the no-date, S mint mark SLQ. It's only the 3rd SLQ I've found this year out of 500 wilvers. The SLQ was down about 8". It was a very tough find, considering the nearby electrical disturbances and high ground mineralization. All I heard was a tiny squeak of a signal. As KirkPA would say, I did "A Double Fist Pump" after finding the coin, followed by #500, which turned out to be a '55 Rosie at about 6" in the hard packed soil.

I'm celebrating tonight!!! I will post my 500 wilvers for everyone to see tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your support and comments on my posts. They are very much appreciated!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_1961 (1550 x 1163).jpg
    IMG_1961 (1550 x 1163).jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 797
  • IMG_1963 (1550 x 1163).jpg
    IMG_1963 (1550 x 1163).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 789
Upvote 0
Congrats Dan,I keep trying to catch up and you just keep walking away without looking back!Oh well I think da'tecting is a little different here in the No. east,I think in general people here have less money and therefore more people have detectors and have hunted it hard in hopes of finding that rarity or cache that will put some money in the bank and make life easier.In contrast I think people in your area have more money and for the most part could care less about the things buried right under their feet therefore leaving more to find for the guys like you that do take an interest.Sorry, not trying to take away from your achievements just trying to point out the regional differences as I see them.Oh yeah,correct me if I'm wrong but an SLQ is a seated liberty quarter an STLQ would be a standing liberty quarter.Once again CONGRATS!! Bootstrap

bootstrap vinn said:
Congrats Dan,I keep trying to catch up and you just keep walking away without looking back!Oh well I think da'tecting is a little different here in the No. east,I think in general people here have less money and therefore more people have detectors and have hunted it hard in hopes of finding that rarity or cache that will put some money in the bank and make life easier.In contrast I think people in your area have more money and for the most part could care less about the things buried right under their feet therefore leaving more to find for the guys like you that do take an interest.Sorry, not trying to take away from your achievements just trying to point out the regional differences as I see them.Oh yeah,correct me if I'm wrong but an SLQ is a seated liberty quarter an STLQ would be a standing liberty quarter.Once again CONGRATS!! Bootstrap

Thanks, Bootstrap. Everyone on my CA forum uses the acronym SLQ to refer to Standing Liberty Quarters. I've never seen somebody use STLQ in a post. Seated quarters over here are quite rare. Speaking of our regional differences, I see you live in Maine. I think in terms of quantity of silver, the area I live in is hard to beat. I've found silver now at over 44 different parks, all within 50 miles from my residence. Yes, there's a lot of parks where I live. Funny how my perception of my area changed when I bought the SE. I thought there was very little silver left in the ground around here after swinging another brand of detector for so many years. I was pleasantly surprised to start pulling up all this silver/wheats everywhere I went. I've never had a year like this before. I think your area has a much richer/longer American history, so the chance at an older coin would probably be more possible and frequent. You would think also that because of the longer history in your area (almost 200 years), there would have been more coin drops too. Longer regional history means more time for people to lose their money. Well, I haven't been to the New England states before, but I do prefer my year round md'ing here in S. CA. ;D

Thanks again,
CAPTN SE
Dan

sweet finds captn! and congrats on the 500 silver mark! thats quite a milestone! i dont see any stars on the SLQ so what..that dates it either 1916 or 1917 right? very nice indeed!

hollowpointred said:
sweet finds captn! and congrats on the 500 silver mark! thats quite a milestone! i dont see any stars on the SLQ so what..that dates it either 1916 or 1917 right? very nice indeed!

From my pic, you can't see the 3 stars, but after I cleaned her, the 3 stars are visible on my SLQ. But I think the 1917 Type 1 SLQ has no stars under the eagle; and the '16 also.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

El capitan, when you post the 500 silver(my slang for wilver) will you also let us know your favorite, and also the most rare and valuable? I have been wondering. Thanks and congrats. U R da MAN!

utah hunter said:
El capitan, when you post the 500 silver(my slang for wilver) will you also let us know your favorite, and also the most rare and valuable? I have been wondering. Thanks and congrats. U R da MAN!

Thanks UtahHunter. Actually, the most rare and valuable coin find I made this year was not a wilver coin. It was actually a wheat penny. A 1922 no mintmark. My favorite is easy....it's got to be the seated half dollar (1858) I found a couple weeks ago. I did find a low-mintage barber dime 1896 O, but the ground really oxidized it.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Hey Capt.,I hear ya on the SLQ.I don't know maybe it's just me but every time I see SLQ posted I automatically think seated and it always draws me in then I see a stander and it kinda takes a little away from it.Don't get me wrong,I'm always up for and excited about finding a stander but as you well know it doesn't quite have the same magic of a seated.No offence intended just think it differentiates between the two a little better.I think-know your right about the chance of finding older coins in this area and even of the fact that older probably means more drops but I still believe more have been taken in this area in the past then maybe in your area just because more people have spent what little money they have on a middle of the road machine just for the chance of making good.The median price of a home around here is 125,000 what is it in your area?That just goes back to my point about the people in your area for the most part could probably care less that there might be a 16D merc buried in the ground at that park but in Maine it's a different story.Once again congrats on your finds and I'm pretty sure you'll keep 'em comin' Bootstrap

Congrats on the milestone! Must be nice hunting in an area that heavy with silver!

I'm with you, I've always used and seen SLQ as a standing liberty quarter.

Congratulations! A true milestone. I thought I was having a good year with 4 silver coins trying for 6!

Hats off to you sir.

Chev

Jeepers! 500 silver, I'm still workin' on 5......
I too am glad you're in another state...

Keep safe...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back