Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
So on Wednesday, I was geared up to scout a 60 acre cornfield for Indian artifacts. I had trailered my ATV in order to cross a creek and spot scan various areas of this large field.
The Creek to Cross.jpg

Just a few weeks ago, I had walked a bit of this site, and at that time, the area was quite swingable with only a little vegetation growing around the corn stalks.
The Cornfield.jpg

When I pulled up Wednesday and saw the 2 foot high weeds, I abandoned the plan for the day and decided to head to another permission nearby that had a public swimming pool from 1954 to the early 80's. The site is full of clad and literally you can't go a foot without a target. Coins are just laying on the surface. Several times I could set the detector down and just use the pinpointer to sweep the ground for targets.
Surface coins 1.jpg Surface coins 2.jpg

I really don't care much for this kind of detecting as I'd rather be relic or artifact hunting, but it would be a perfect site to take your kid to hunt and get them interested in detecting. After 3 outings here yielding only clad dating from the early 1960's to the early 1980's with a few Wheaties in the mix, I was beginning to think that this is all this site is good for, but on the 4th outing, my very first hole produced a 1914 Barber dime! Woot, now I'm interested!! And before the end of the day, a tiny sterling promise ring with a J script character on the face.
1914 Barber Dime and Ring.jpg

5th outing, 90+ clad again, boring.

Back to Wednesday Plan B (6th outing), I started with some clad in the pool area and then I moved to a shady sloped area that has always been very muddy. Now it was dry enough to walk on. Hearing a sweet little tone, I dig down 3" and I'm looking at my first dug Rosie!! I've found a couple of Rosies in the coinstar back in December, but have never detected one. I'm more than happy! So, bag it up, check the hole before replacing the plug et voila, a second!! First was a 52, now a 59. Then about 5 feet away, another Rosie! This one a 62. What? From never finding a Rosie to now 3 in 5 minutes?

Next signal was a 30-31 in Park1, I'm thinking large aluminum bottle cap, but no!! At 2" down, there's a liberty bell glaring at me, a 1952 Ben Franklin Half Dollar!!! Back in 1986 I dug my first silver coin, an 1899 Barber Half with my Whites CM-5 and that has been my only Half Dollar until now. This is getting fun!!

After another 10 minutes combing this area, I pulled out another first for me, a 1945 Merc!! Spent another 30 minutes in this 10'x30' swath and decided to call it a day, a very good day!!!

Just rinsed.jpg
Obverses.jpg Reverses.jpg
cleaned.jpg

Thanks for looking, HH!!!

Upvote 33

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
You now have a go to spot when nothing else is in the works. Great hunting and grats on all the fine silver coins.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boom! Fantastic hunting

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some great finds!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome pics great day with all that silver. Id be happy if I didnt find anything to be able to hunt there cool spot Well done

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds. They looked better tarnished IMO.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice silver finds! :occasion14:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree! A great day to save a bunch of Silvers. Congrats!

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yak, congrats on your silver finds. Funny how that happens from never finding a Rosie to 3 in 5 minutes. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
WOW, Great silver finds. Sometimes it is fun to dig a lot of clad...as a surf hunter some of my hunts turn up about 1 coin/hr (and 50% cents) and nothing else...always searching for the gold and silver. It sure is nice to hear that beep, even if it is only clad, but know perfectly what ya mean.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great day Yak. I'm still looking for my first Franklin Half. That is one of only a few coins left on my bucket list. I've got the Seated's, Barber's, Walking Lib's, and Kennedy's out of the way. You think a Franklin would show up since the hard one's are out of the way ! All you guys posting Franklin's are starting to kill me !

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds. They looked better tarnished IMO.

I thought somebody would say something , but with no key Dates it was really a matter of opinion to clean your Silvers.

They turned out nice.

I see you hunting there many more times.

I would.
Gd Buddy

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome man! That is a good spot....:occasion14:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Yak 1366, so you had yourself a Very Nice Hunt and I assume with the Nox 800. How long have you had the Nox and what do you think of it so far? Do you have both coils for it yet and if so can you offer any comparisons? Thank you for sharing, all those silvers look great!...........63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread